75 Gallon tank.

May 29, 2006
Sussex, NJ
Ok, ive decided to convert my 75 gallon piranha tank into a FOWLR tank. I currently have an eheim 2215 canister filter, 200 watt heater, and an aquaclear 50 powerhead. I was thinking i would need to buy another strong powerhead, a protein skimmer, a hydrometer, a good saltwater test kit, a thermometer, then the live rock and live sand. Any suggestions or anything are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your responses, Chuck.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
id leave the canister filter out and just get 2 strong powerheads along with a good amount of live rock..for the sand u dont need to spend all the extra $$ for the live stuff since it all be live within time anyways ;) a protien skimmer is always a good idea ..... on the stocking list
2 clowns - fine
4 clown gobies- why 4? id say just 1
2 blue tangs- by blue tang im assuming yur talking about the hippo tangs in that case 2 is a bit much for that tank id say 1 if that
2 coral beauty - only 1 should be kept per tank or they fight

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
i think TRe's recommendations are pretty darn good. i've kept a clown goby before, they aren't too exciting and hide alot. so maybe go with something instead of a clown goby. you could take a look at watchman gobies and shrimp gobies, they are sort of similar to clown gobies. i think six-line wrasses are awesome, they are active and colorful, just make sure to add them later than everyone else cuz they are very territorial.

May 29, 2006
Sussex, NJ
I was thinking like 100 lbs of live rock, 2 maxi jet model 1200(295 gph), and could someone recommend a protein skimmer thats decently priced? For the stocking, ill do 2 clowns, 1 clown goby, 1 tang, 1 coral beauty angel, 1 firefish, maybe 1 six line wrasse, and a butterfly fish. Any suggestions or comment are appreciated, Chuck.

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I would go with seio powerheads. They are much more efficient and provide a better spreadout jet. Are you looking for a "hang-on back" skimmer? If so, CPR bakpaks are good and so are aquac remora are good too. Butterfly fish are usually hard to get eating, but after that the odds are good. They are known to nip at various button polyps.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
I would go with seio powerheads. They are much more efficient and provide a better spreadout jet.
i would actually go with 2 koralia powerheads *SUPERSMIL two # 4's or even two #3's
fer the skimmer if you decide to go with a hob id say this is pretty much the best

chuckstrobeck said:
if i cut the butterfly, do you have any more recommendations for fish
for the stocking id take it slow..youll change yur mind a bunch of times trust me...in this hobby patience is the key ;)

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I have 2- 620s, but for a 75 I would go for the next one up. I think it's an 820.

Yes, that is the same skimmer I have, but when it has the rio powerhead it's only rated for 60 gallons. I added a maxi-jet 1200 with a venturi attachment to it and it really boosts the output.

Like tre said, take your fish stock slowly. One fish at a time, but have your stocking list written down.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
if you plan on getting a goby i would say get a yellow watchman. their entertaining, not very shy, and active. if you plan on getting the goby and a six-line. add them at the same time, they tend to like to fight

what happens to your piranha?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
actually from my experiance my yellow watchman is just about the most shy fish ive ever had... i had him paired up with a pistol shrimp wich was cool until the pistol went overflow surfing and got sucked into the return

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I agree most watchman gobies are shy......I have a diamond gobie in my 75g he is extremely active and stirs up my sand bed by moving the sand around constantly. I would look also at maybe a mated pair of cardinals....and the six line or other wrasse s a good choice. Also for clowns, I think my clarkiis are much more active than my ocellaris are as would be maroons......

I would highly recommend from experience that the aqua c remora pro on a 75g is an excellent choice. The bakpak though a great skimmer may not be able to handle a 75g.......I also have two Korallia 4's on my 75g which I got from Premium Aquatics and didn't have a wait at all.....and the price was right also.....