Is this Hydrometer any good?

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com

I found this today while shutting down a lobster tank. Was wondering if it was any good? I'm assuming you let it float and read the measurement? Might be handy when setting up a SW tank (one of these days). Forgive my noobishness. Or I'll whip you with a hundred stem plants. ;)

I'm thinking that maybe the paper thing inside needs to be pushed up to the end? How would I go about doing that without breaking it?

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
Only time ive seen one of those is in a really old sw book. I'm one of the few who still use a hydrometer i guess, mine is pretty accurate though. I think you use those by just letting it float, the needle part goes in the water first. Don't quote me on it though.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
The paper looks fine usually there is a gap at the top. I use ones similar to this, a bit "newer", they arent incredibly accurate but should be reasonably close plus or minus .001 or .002 maybe worst case. Just placethem in the water and whatever line is at the surface of the water is the reading, though I bet you figured that out huh, big A ;)

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
Ugh, I knew i was wrong about what end to put in, I'm just having one of those days were i say some stupid things. I remember my granfather used one when he had a FOWLR tank. Every thing seemed fine in the tank. I don't see why you couldnt use it.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
thats for sure lotus...

iv seen other meters thats a float type. it measures mud content in water...and its huge...

but seriously try to get a refractometer. scientist uses those so it has to be good =p (not really most places they use computers and scanners...)

i thought they dont make those anymore is because iv never seen them...i tried petco, petsmart, even 2 LFS nothing. i guess that it was just a bit outdated...but those swing-arm hydrometer suxs...for me it was off my .005 which was really bad...1.030 SG? took me a while to get it down to 1.025...

Last edited:

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Not only are those hydrometers more accurate than swing arms, good quality ones are actually more accurate and repeatable than 99.9% of refractometers on the market. I use a lab grade hydrometer of a similar type that is calibrated accurate on manufacture at +-0.05, and no refractometer on the market is calibrated that close unless you are paying several hundred dollars plus for a calibrated lab grade. Hobbyist ones are good, but not that good. Check out Brennans website for a plethora of calibrated lab grade hydrometers
Where refractometers rate highly is on conveniance, and they are usually pretty close. Where they are a little wobbly is on repeatability as the drops of water applied are so small they evaporate quite quickly, so changing the saliniity, and as the differences in RI (refractive index) are so small they are susceptible to this change. So if you use a refracto. get on with doing it. Don't put a drop of water on, and then do something else and go back and read it - it might have changed.
So, FWIW, if you use this guy properly he will be accurate , repeatable, and probably more so than a refractometer. Try to find out what temp the scale is calibrated at - densities change quite quickly with temp, and need a little correction - I don't have a table handy. At least you know, if you wash it each time with tap water the results will be repeatable.

Strangely, despite the slagging hobbyists give them, cleaned swing arms on a surface measured flat with a spirit level proved accurate and reperatable on the only actual test I've seen done (by Steven Pro last year), using I think 25 swing arms obtained from various sources blind. It would seem the errors are caused by the fact that most hobbyists don't do either thing mentioned (cleaning, levelling) properly.

Oh, and measure at the water level, not the meniscus, and turn off any circulation pumps to let it settle.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Oh, and measure at the water level, not the meniscus, and turn off any circulation pumps to let it settle.
I was going to mention that. There can be a millimeter or so difference between those two levels.

If you can't find one at Marineland try your local homebrew shop. They are used to measure the alcohol level in wines aswell as salinity.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Wow, thanks for all of the replies! That's some good info for a SW rookie! This little guy (actually it's about a foot long!) is calibrated for 60F, which IMO, is kind of low? It sounds like a pretty good deal considering it was free & came with a cheap plastic case (which is better than no case imo). I've used a swing-arm and I wasn't all that fond of it. Reminded me of trying to determine the color of an AP test kit result.

Thanks again!

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
What I would do is get a sample of my tank water, and take it round some shops, and get them to measure it with as many refracto's., hydrometers as you can and get a concensus on what the salinity is. You then take this back home, and measure what your hydrometer says, and go from that. It will always float at the same level if the salinity and temp are the same. These things have great repeatability, but the values on the little bit of paper are going to be out, but if you have a known solution of 1.024 say, but the hydro reads 1.017, you jsut need to always make solutions that say 1.017

Refractos are easier, that's their advantage, and most of the ones sold are pretty close, but ultimately limits on the actual construction mean they are not as out and out accurate as 30 dollar hydrometers.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I got my refractometer from Drs Foster & Smith, they put theirs on sale from time to time. Wasn't cheap, but its awesome. And sorry...I don't remember the brand...but its blue? :D