Stocking Question and Help

Jul 16, 2007
Hey guys, I am new to being a fish keeper and wanted to ask two things: (1) if anyone could tell me how well stocked my 10 gallon tank is, and (2) help on an issue...

(1) My 10 gallon tank consists of (I do not know how to sex the fish, so if you need that info, help on how to would be great):
- 3 red wags
- 2 sunset wags
- 1 albino cory
- 1 white balloon belly molly
- 1 creamcicle molly
- 1 blue-barred barb (barbus barilioides)

I also have a couple plastic plants, a plastic log that the cory often sleeps in, and a live vine-like plant.

I got the blue-barred barb b/c the store employee said they are ok with community fish, it seems active, but so far pretty much keeps to itself.

If anyone has any good book ideas too, I would appreciate it. I would like to get more fish, so open to suggestions, but don't want a crowded tank.

(2) Issue: My creamcicle molly and white balloon belly are not getting along. It looks like the balloon belly is trying to nip at the creamcicle's tail fin, but, every now and then, the creamcicle fights back, but usually just swims away. Is this normal? Any help?

Thanks a lot!!!

1st, I would say your tank is over stocked.
2nd, I believe that being the tank over stocked, it has triggered aggression.
3rd, Cories like to be in groups of 3 or more.
4th, I believe a 10 gallon is too small for barbs, as most of them like to be in groups, and are too active for a 10g.
5th, Do you know the male to female ration on the 'wags' AKA platies? As it should be 1m/2f.
6th, I believe the live plant you have is a type of vallis.

I have a few questions,
How long has the tank been set up?
What filter do you have?
What are you parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)?

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was being harsh, but just trying to help.

Jul 13, 2007
your over-stocked, the blue-barred vard is peacefull and should do fine in a community of fish. As far as more fish go, you would have to get something bigger than a 10 gallon, you should anyways. as far as your mollies, the males have been know to nip at the females, its just a fact of livebreeders

Last edited:

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
the blue-barred bard is peacefull and should do fine in a community of fish.
Barbs are gregarious fish, they need to be in groups of 3 or more. The biggest personality problems with barbs tend to stem from not being in a large enough group (Tiger Barbs for instance can become relativly peaceful if in quite large groups, but in small groupings they tend to be nippy and aggressive towards other species)

Your Corydoras also is a gregarious fish and will often become sluggish or stressed when alone.

cheers

-Java

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Welcome! Everyone above is right, you're tank is getting to be painfully overstocked. For some basic tank stocking information, you should check out the link in my signature below. It also has some cycling information if you have not already handled that. Either way, you will have to get rid of some fish or get a much larger tank.