High Nirates & Nitrites

Hi guys,
I have a 46 gal. Aquarium and I bought a Mardel 5 in 1 Test. I have been testing my aquarium probably like 4 days a week since it has been up and running. I allowed it to cycle for 8 weeks before i put my fish in, and we are now in week 16. I have noticed that my Nitrates and Nitrites have been progressively going up. I have been doing 25% water changes, weekly.. That seems to help, but then in a couple days I am right back where I started. My Nirate leve is between 20-40 so they aren't that bad yet.. However my Nitrite level is a shade somewhere between 5.0-10.0 which according to the test is toxic.. I bought an AquarClear Filter that was appropriate for the size of my thank and I also have an UGF. Any suggestions???

The Stock:
3 X Tiger Barb
3 X Zebra Danios
2 X Dalmatian Molly
5 X Neon Tetras
2 X Red Platys
3 X Sunset Platys
3 X Neon Serpae Tetra
2 X Pepper Cory Catfish
1 X Pleco
2 X Golden Snail

There are a couple things I think are causing this, but I don't know because I am a noob..

1.UGF.. I was reading a thread earlier and I haven't' cleaned out under it, so maybe there is some gunk under there that is affecting the nitrites/nitrates?

2. Their food. I bought some TetraMin, Tropical Crisps which they seem to bite the center out of and the rest of the flake floats to the bottom. I do have some snails and corys though so maybe that isn't a problem.

3. Maybe the tank is overstocked, or maybe I need another Filter?

I DUNNO PLEASE HELP!!!!! :(

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I don't think your tank sounds overstocked, sounds like a pretty good mix of fish. When you say you let your tank cycle for 8 weeks, I'm guessing you didn't actually fishless cycle the tank and that your tank is cycling now. If your tank had been cycled the nitrite wouldn't be popping up right now, which is that last stage of cycling. If you're getting relatively high levels of nitrate too then hopefully its nearly finished and the nitrite level will be back down to 0 shortly.

Nitrates even in an established tank will go up, and the best way to get them down is to do water changes. Ammonia and nitrites will be "invisible" to you in an established tank because the bacteria on your filter will be converting them to nitrate for you. A filter is only mechnical (takes gunk out of the water) until you have bacteria on it to filter "chemical" stuff out of the water.

Sometimes those test strips will show high nitrate/nitrite if one or the other is off the charts high. A nitrite level that high IS toxic and I'm surprised you haven't lost any fish yet. I'd do a 50% water change...then let the water mix for awhile and test again. You'll probably have to do at least another one today and it'll still be high so maybe do at least a 50% water change every day until the nitrite level is lower. Just remember to turn your filter off while you are doing water changes (UGF doesn't matter, just the HOB) and put your dechlorinator in the water before adding new water into the tank for your changes because chlorinated water will kill off good bacteria in your gravel etc.

Nitrite and nitrate levels *can* be affected by what is under the UGF plate, however thats not whats happening here because when its that it'll usually be like a .25ppm nitrite reading when its supposed to be 0.

I'd also suggest investing in a test kit like aquarium pharmaceutical's master test kit, that are liquid (or just buying the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate ones)...as they are typically more accurate than the strips.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
1. I do believe it's probably the UGF. If not all the food is being eaten, and some make it to the gravel, then you are getting a build-up in the UGF. I would recommend cleaning it out.

2. The type of food won't present any problems, but overfeeding will. Especially with a UGF if a lot if the food is getting down under the gravel and building up gunk.

3. You are not overstocked.

Also, when you say you are cycled, it means that ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm. It doesn't mean that nitrates do the same. Nitrates is the end product, and is why we do PWC's. Also, high nitrates occurring fast means overfeeding, or a severely dirty filter with lots of gunk (such as the UGF). If you are running another filter, then I would recommend getting rid of the UGF. They can be notoriously bad if not taken proper care of. Yes, UGF's can be very good filters, but they also have to be Properly Maintained.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I would remove the UGF. After that If you added all the fish at once you should expect a cycle because the bacteria has to multiply to catch up with the amount of waste that is being produced. I would also cut back on the feeding. You do sound over stocked. I think that is enough fish for a 75G tank. Just to let you know the Tiger Barbs will pick on you other fish because they are semi-aggressive.

I would just keep up on the water changes. Your bacteria Should catch up.

MAHA

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
I would remove the UGF. After that If you added all the fish at once you should expect a cycle because the bacteria has to multiply to catch up with the amount of waste that is being produced. I would also cut back on the feeding. You do sound over stocked. I think that is enough fish for a 75G tank. Just to let you know the Tiger Barbs will pick on you other fish because they are semi-aggressive.

I would just keep up on the water changes. Your bacteria Should catch up.

MAHA
Actually, I wouldn't consider it overstocked at all, considering all the small fish. And depending on what kind of pleco it is, most of the other fish are relatively small bioloads. And as for the tiger barbs, watch out. Unless you have a group of 8-10 or more, they will pick at the other fish. Also, they may not do so well, and the weakest one will be picked on til death. That's why for tiger barbs you want larger groups, to spread out the aggression. I have 39 of them in my 55G, along with all my loaches, 2 rainbow sharks, 1 CAE, and MTS.

Another idea is to replace the UGF with a canister filter like the XP2, and run it with your AquarClear Filter.

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
It sounds like kind of a hectic tank, although not overstocked. My suggestion would be to get rid of the small schools and perhaps focus on your favourites. The tank will look more unified.

As far as cycling goes, it sounds like you may have loaded up your bio-load before your tank was ready to handle it. The only fix is to keep doing regular water changes. As many as it takes to keep those levels down. Eventually your tank will catch up and you'll be able to do less water changes, but in the meantime your priority is to keep all those fish safe.

Thanks for all your help guys, I forgot to check the box that alerted me to watch this thread and just figured no one replyed. I have been doing 50% water changes and that has seemed to help. The nitrite level goes back down to 3.0 and it usually takes a day for it to go back up so I will do another water change this morning.

I will probably end up disassembling the whole tank and taking out that UGF this weekend if the problem hasn't resolved itself.

Thank you for all your input though :D It really has helped.