How long to remove carbon while medicating?

Hi! To avoid further questions, I will start from the beginning. I bought my first fish, a betta, a month ago from a pet store. His home is a 2.5 gallon tank with a whisper filter.
When I first brought him home (my office), I noticed that there were black markings on the edge of his tail. Through some research, I found that may be tail rot. Since there was no other indication of tail rot, I did not administer the medications I purchased from bettatalk yet. I thought maybe it was just part of his coloring. I have been watching him closely though. I figured if it was tail rot, it was in its early stages and my once-a-week water changes should help him.
Yesterday morning, he was fine, flaring at me when I fed him. Then, yesterday afternoon I noticed that his tail fin had shredded in some places! I had water sitting under my desk ready for a water change so I changed his water right then and there. I added the recommended doses of triple sulfa and fungus eliminator for my size tank. I knew I also had to remove the carbon cartridge in order to not remove the medication from the water I had just added. Everything I've read though, says to keep the filter running (which helps stir the medication throughout the water).
I know bettas like calmer water, so I had my filter on the lowest setting and he was quite happy. Now, with the carbon cartridge removed, the water current I've noticed is much stronger. My betta looks like he's tired from swimming against it. This novel now brings me to my question:
How long do I have to keep that carbon filter out? Can I replace it now that the meds are mixed in the water? Do I turn the filter off? (I think I read somewhere that turning the filter off is not recommended, but was wondering if this was a special circumstance).

Thanks in advance for any help! I look forward to learning more about our aquatic friends through this site!

*SICK*

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You should keep the carbon out for the whole time you're medicating. You could put something fish-safe in to reduce flow, if you think it's bothering the fish. Either plain filter floss or food-safe plastic of some form can help reduce the flow.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Another thing to think about when you see shredded fins is if the betta himself is doing the shredding. If he's stressed out from the filter flow, he may start shredding his fins in stress. Remember, most bettas have been raised in little cups, they aren't used to being able to swim around and generally aren't strong swimmers.

aim3e

Small Fish
Jul 31, 2007
Hi,

I have a related question - i'd really appreciate if anyone could help me.

I have a sick dwarf gourami and I was advised to medicate with Interpret no. 9 but my filter cartridge is a pre-packaged one that has built in carbon. What do i do? I don't really want to medicate until i know and I guess there would be no point if the carbon is just going to remove the medicine...

skratikans

Large Fish
Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
when you are using these antibiotics make sure not to have your lights on as they denature and inactivate the antibiotics...also make sure that before you dump the antibiotics down the drain that you denature them as to not disrupt the environment to which you are dumping them...when you use the antibiotics you will need daily changes..i dont think you need a filter for your betta at the moment due to these frequent water changes

aim3e

Small Fish
Jul 31, 2007
You can remove the entire filter pad without causing too much of a problem. As long as you keep the filter flow going, the tank/fish should be fine.
interpret 9 says you have to wait 4 days before adding a second dosage, is it possible to keep the filter pad out the whole time?

thanks for your help!