A FILTER ques?

meagheavz

Medium Fish
Aug 13, 2007
i have a 20G tank H.. i have 2 filters in 2.. whisper 20G and also a aquaclear 20G...how often to i clean/ replace filter sutff?? i have many fish in it

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Swish the filter media around in the old water when you do partial water changes (e.g. once a week)....not fresh clorinated water. There is no need to replace the filter media unless it is falling apart. Your beneficial bacteria lives in the sponges, floss, and other media that is inside the filter.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
New filter pads are a way for the filter companies to make money. Generally, you should never switch the filter pads unless they are literally falling apart. As was said above, when cleaning out the tank, swish around the pad in the old tank water, then just put it back in the filter. Good as new!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Just make sure you keep the BioMax insert (the white hollow cylindrical pieces of biomedia in the mesh bag) which came with your AquaClear filter...it's good stuff!

BV

meagheavz

Medium Fish
Aug 13, 2007
ok i will thanks,i got extra fuilter stuff, now how to i clean it, everytime i check out the filters crap comes out of it, and is there a better way of clean the tank, i try the gravel vac and stuff was just everywhere, i think i bought a small one and i wassnt doing it right i got a bigger one today over the weekend im gonna try again. i really love the whole aquarium thing,fish can be so much fun....im a little obsessed, ive been up since five and my girl wanted to go get drinks at a bar, so i went to her job and he got off at 1am, i so wassnt gonna make it, so i took at nap and all i could think about was if my fish where ok..

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
It's an addicting hobby. :) Those gravel vacs can be hard to work at first, if you're having trouble, I took the time to write my own guide on how to get them going on my website, the link is below. :)