Driftwood question...

Mrs.K

Small Fish
Aug 11, 2007
CT
I'm not liking the color of my driftwood... it's supposed to be brown but it's almost all green... what can I add to my tank that will help clean all the algae off my driftwood...:)

bpd964

New Fish
Aug 11, 2007
An algae eater... Siamese Flying Fox ... or just scrape it off..

Pretty common for the smooth surface of your driftwood to have algae. Also, considering that your tank is still fairly new, you should expect a little algae here and there..

Last edited:

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
a bushy nose pleco will eat about everything. I prefer the long finned bushy nose but not sure if u want to spend upwards of $40 for one. I payed 65 for mine. a regular bn will run around $5 though.

Mrs.K

Small Fish
Aug 11, 2007
CT
the type of fish you get depends on the type of algae you have, not to mention how big your tank is and how many fish you already have in it. Is that the only place you are seeing algae growth in your tank?

I have a 55 galon... one platty, 2 tiger barbs, and a chinese algae eater... yup, the driftwood is the only place where I have all the green stuff...

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
the only way that i know of to beat cyano is to dose eurythromyacin. when i had it in my tank (it will take over very quickly). you can get eurythromyacin at the fish shop. it's cheap, too. you can search the forum for cyano. i know there have been a few good threads about dosing eurythromyacin.