What's on my fish???

Aug 12, 2007
Looks like a snail of some sort? Almost like those black pill-bugs you find outside that roll up if you pick them up, but it's in my tank and attached to the yellow-tailed damsel's face. Any idea?

Attachments

Aug 12, 2007
thanks, i figured I should remove it, but the fish is in hiding now, should be fun to catch.... I don't have a QT set up yet, if I remove it and put the fish back in, will it hurt the others? Any idea where these things come from? Should I be concerned before adding any more fish or inverts? Thanks for the help.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
from what i've heard, they're just like all the other pods in ur tank. if u see one of them, there are plenty more. just keep a close eye on all of ur fish and take it slow. isopods can be pretty small, so you'll have to routinely check on them. the most common time to see them is when the tank lights turn on in the morning. isopods are nocturnal, so if any are attached to fish you will momentarily see them jump off and go hide in the rocks. i wouldn't recommend adding any expensive fish. one thing that isopods are known for is attaching themselves to base of a fish's tongue. they detach the tongue and live there, acting as a parasite. i've seen a few small ones in my tank, and i've only seen one on a fish once. it was a tiny one attached to my firefish's tail. i like to think that my six-line and pseudochromis are taking care of the bigger ones, but i can never be sure. the only real fix to an isopod infestation is replacing all of your rock and sand.

Aug 12, 2007
the only real fix to an isopod infestation is replacing all of your rock and sand.
That's the last thing I, my wallet, or especially my wife want to hear right now. I'm still trying to catch him so I can remove it. The only thing different I did today was leave the light off in the morning. Normally, it's on a timer (1 florescent that came w/ the tank, and 1 420nm acticnic,) from 0530 until about 9 PM. Getting some pretty bad algae so I figured I'd hold back on the light a little. So, I didn't turn the light on until about 10 this morning. Maybe that had something to do with it????
I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. I don't plan on getting any more fish for a little while, the tank just finished it's cycle last week and I'm going to pick up a cleanup crew today. Thanks for the info guys.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
omg...that looks soo gross...

i almost threw up looking at ich up close...gave me goosebumps and the chills...
im just glad mine passed.

man i would rip that guy off and chop him up!!!the isopod not the fish...

richy0708

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2007
Oregon
omg...that looks soo gross...

i almost threw up looking at ich up close...gave me goosebumps and the chills...
im just glad mine passed.

man i would rip that guy off and chop him up!!!the isopod not the fish...
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Lmao , same here. They look so weird! eww....!..I didnt know about isopods till now. ewww...i cant even explain how grossed out I am buy looking at it.