nitrate trap?

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
ive heared a few pple say that HOB filters are a lead to a nitrate trap if this is true would most recommend not to use one for a sw tank? and if so what would be the best filter? I personnaly was going to to use a protien skimmer and a big stack of LR. would this method work just as good?

but about this nitrate trap... when i was cycling my tank about 2 weeks into it i changed the filter cartridge to my HOB filter and when i picked up the cartridge a thick white stream fell behind it and went into the main tank leaving it really cloudy almost milky. would this have something to do with so called nitrate trap?

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
is there a certain amound of live rock i should have before i go with just the protien skimmer? i have about 27 pounds of LR that im still adding to in my 29 gallon.

OMG this is so funny i looked over to my tank and i seen a little pod running laps around my crabs shell it was doing it for a good couple minutes like it was training for the olympics.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
thats funny :) Usually people aim to have at least 1 pound of LR per gallon of water. Need to make sure in addition to a skimmer (if you're going to use one) that you have power heads that are rated high enough to give you a good flow in the tank because the water flowing over the live rock is your "filter".

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
well i already have a skimmer im using the aqua C Remora after hearing how its one of the best HOB skimmers from a few pple from a few diff LFS. the only thing i am missing are the powerheads. wich will be comming in soon.

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
pics are good.....we like pics.

Good equipment and live rock choices, what kind and size powerheads are you contemplating?
thats the other thing what would be a good choice for my 29 gallon? i want a koralia but i dont know wich # i should go with and if i should go with 2 of them, one on each side of my tank?

ill try to post up some pics now...