Magnum 350

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
Have a serious micro-bubble problem with my magnum 350 which I use to pump the water from the sump to the main tank.

I have checked for possible leaks and just don’t find any. I have replaced the rubber band that goes around the top to make sure its perfectly sealed. I replaced the impeller too. The filter works fine. No leaks. But for some reason, I keep getting micro bubbles which makes it impossible to see the tank clearly.

I assume its because there is air trapped in the canister but after a few days it should have all gone already…but I guess new air somehow gets in. Just don’t know how since I find no leaks.

This problem was not occurring before I had the sump. When the filer was in the main tank only, I was not getting any air bubbles. Once I put the suction tube in the sump, I started getting bubbles. Does this have anything to do with one tube being at the bottom (sump) and one at the top (main tank)?

Logic says there shouldn’t be any problems but obviously there is. Any suggestions? Has anyone had the same problem?

My sump is only a 10 gallon tank which is not filled all the way.

I’m so confused.

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
Thanks for taking the time to check this out for me on the marineland website. I really appreciate the effort.

However, i already checked all that. Everything is as air tight as it can be. But maybe there are better tests i can do to check for air leaks but really i dont find anything.

Must be something wrong with the canister itself and not the tubing. I dont know...

I tried to shake the canister (while everything is connected and no air can get in) to shake off some of the bubbles attached to the blue filter (that slips over the carbon box) inside the canister - It actually worked and the bubbles reduced (not 100% just a less) for a few mins and then came back again.

I guess I can live with the bubbles but man it sure is annoying to see these bubbles all over the tank. How do the fish feel about these bubbles? Does it bother them or does it benefit the tank?

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
Is there some kind of turbulence in the sump that might be causing air bubbles to come from the sump? From a pump, skimmer or the overflow, for example?
There is but I did eliminate all possibilities by shutting everything off and only running the Magnum. Still bubbles persist.

I’m starting to think there is something wrong with the canister. Somehow air manages to get in, just don’t know how. All my tests show no leak.

I opened the canister and messed around with it a bit, the new rubber that goes around it is in perfect condition – I even lubed it to make sure no air could get in, some how I still get bubbles. A lot less after opening and reconnecting everything but still not eliminated.

The characteristic of the filter when I turn it on is like this – it works perfectly silent for a few seconds then it shoots out these bursts of bubbles. Then again nothing for a few seconds, and another burst of bubbles. Its not a continuous flow of bubbles. It varies each time…