mysterious death

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
I don't know how big your room is, but my room is pretty small and beside, I can't sleep with nosie.
Then I would suggest moving your tank some place else. The skimmer needs be to running 24/7. So save yourself all the problems and just move the tank. Its not worth your fish dying over your sleeping problems and not worth you losing sleep over your aquarium. The only option I see here is moving your tank to a different room.

Apr 11, 2006
what happen if someone broke into my room and stole all my fish, and corals and I can't heard a damn thing. LOL, just kidding, since I moving out, I'll find a place for it pretty soon. I would love it to be in my room but I can't stand the water injection noise.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i used to have my 10g nano,my 30g reef, and my 55g reef all in my room at the same time so i kno how ya feel but trust me u get used to it..... when i first added the sump to my 55 the overflow was pretty loud like a constant flushing sound and i even got used to that

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
It is amazing the noise you get used to. Then all you need to do is hear one tiny spash of water that is out of place and you are bolt upright awake.....sooooo you can sleep through the noise. Also, try lowering your collection cup and skim a bit heavier and it will block a lot of the noise

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
lol that reminds me... one time my cat knocked the power cord out of the wall in the middle of the night and it was actually the silence that wolk me up just in time before the return pump back syphoned

Sep 24, 2007
Saginaw, MI
I think I just ran into the same issue. I have done salt water tanks many times in the past (mostly fish only, but a few reef). Anyhow, I had a Red Sea Max set up with lots of live rock, a few damsels left over from cycling, two percula clowns and some emerald crabs and turbo snails. I am pretty religious about water testing. A couple days ago I added a few more emeral crabs and snails. The next day, ALL the fish were dead. I immediately removed them and also tested the water, and was surprised that everything was in pretty much perfect shape (with pH a bit lower than I want... 7.9, but still within spec). I confirmed with the pet store (whom I have been using for multiple decades) that the no copper was added to the tank where the snails/crabs came from. The snails/crabs all seem fine and are eating just fine. All fish were fine on their "last night" and during their "last supper". The only thing I have noticed yesterday is a slight film on the water surface which might indicate the same oxygen depletion. Does this sound right? I can't think of anything else that could cause this with my water condition so well. (no cleaning agents nearby, etc). I just don't want to add more fish if there is something else (and it isn't fair to the fish!). I guess I was wondering if the snails/crabs are similar to corals in requiring less oxygen... lending more support for an oxygen depletion issue, which might be resolved by a simple re-aim of one or two of the power heads.

Apr 11, 2006
I 'm runing all my powerhead and filter on all night and day, just added a hawk fish and he is doing great for a week now, turning off fliter, skimming, causing the oxygen depletion is clearly the problem. I will never turn them off again.