Saltwater Substrate

Sep 5, 2007
Thank you for your responses. If anyone else has a response, please give.

I am probably going to be starting a saltwater tank because I'm getting a 30-gallon (working) aquarium for...FREE. The guy said he kept saltwater fish in it (fish only).

It is a hex aquarium, though. Is it okay to have a reef aquarium in a hexagonal aquarium? Thnx

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
Thank you for your responses. If anyone else has a response, please give.

I am probably going to be starting a saltwater tank because I'm getting a 30-gallon (working) aquarium for...FREE. The guy said he kept saltwater fish in it (fish only).

It is a hex aquarium, though. Is it okay to have a reef aquarium in a hexagonal aquarium? Thnx

The shape of the tank doesnt matter. But if this is your first time, i would start with fish only and work your way up to a reef. There is a lot to learn in the middle. I wouldnt even dare move into complete reef territory without being confident i can handle most challenges. So if this is your first time, i wouldn’t start with a reef.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Yes sand only, and place your rock directly on the bottom before adding the sand so it is stabilized. Fish only is a good start with live rock and sand. You want to ensure that the tank was never treated with copper medications.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The sand will stabilize the ph provided it is aragonite which is calcium carbonate sand. A simple vinegar test will determine if this is the type of sand you have. Some people use play sand but as it is silca based it can lead to diatom blooms further down the road. This is also why you don't want to use basic aquarium gravel as it is also silca based not calcium carbonate. Reef sand is comprised of ground down coral skeletons and sealife such as shells etc which are made up of calcium.....these dissolve in the ph of the water and help buffer the water. If using a sand bed in your fuge and not in the display then you would want a shallow sand bed which must be maintained, the beauty of the deep sand bed is it's ability to act as a denitrifyer. Here is a good article on dsbs

DeepSandBeds

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I would try to stay away from any type of crushed coral or shell. The dimension is too large for some burrowing type fish and as it is on the larger size more is needed if trying to use for denitrification. It is also prone to become a nitrate trap farther down the road so get some good small sized oolite (size) of aragonite sand.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
its turn that crap and junk gets trapped in your substrate/sand but if u have enough nassarius snails or a sifter to turn over your sand it'll be fine. so iv heard.

to only draw back i experienced was me kicking up a lot of sand making the water very cloudy but clears in an hour or 2.