My 20g Journal "Pic Warning" (now a 29g!)

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
9/19/07 No Update (Yet) Just more ?'s

OK, Beginning in the first week of Oct. I'll start adding my CUC (Going to start with the 2 blue legged hermits). Now for those of you that suggested against Hermits, Don't think your advise fell on deaf ears, it's just that my wife really wants them, and I'm willing to let her have a go at it....if it fails I'll be the first to point it out :p

My Params are all in check (I believe)

Ammo - 0
NitrIte - 0
Nitrate - 5 +/-
pH 8.2 - 8.4 (Varies w/ lighting)
SG steady at 1.024
Diatoms....Gone
Hair Algea...Virtually Gone

Now, the question....Do I set up a little 5g SW quarantine for the hermits, or since they are the "first" addition, just go ahead and put them right in the tank?

If they should be quarantined, how long? On the FW side of things I've always done 14 days (or more if needed) same for SW?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
well as they are the first in and are easy to catch if something is amiss, I would intro them directly to your tank......snails etc really are probably the only thing that I didn't qt.

And if they are true blue legs they should be fine....it is those zebra legged and the red leg (not the scarlet ones) that are not to be trusted.......

good luck, you are definitely on the right track!

Katie you probably have pods you just can't see them as they mostly come out at night. they are hiding on you!

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Thanks Lorna!

I'm hoping my first endeavor into SW will be successful, I've tried to follow all the "rules" and so far I'm extremely satisfied with the results, You and the rest of our SW veterans have been so helpful.

One thing I have learned is, after looking at all your guys beautiful large reef tanks, is that SALT actually stands for.....

S pend
A nother
L ousy
T housand

:p

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
O Don't think your advise fell on deaf ears, it's just that my wife really wants them
no worries it would be a problem until it becomes a reef tank ;) and even then its not all that bad youll be fine its just over the years ive come to notice around corals it makes things a little easier

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
9/20/07 Update....Larger Tank

Well after looking at my current tank situation (5 was too many), I've decided (with the wifes help) to take down one tank....

Well the tank chosen was my old convict 29g. But instead of getting rid of the 29g I've decided to transfer the contents of my 20g Reef into it (an get rid of the 20g instead ;) )

I figure if I'm going to do this, I might as well do it before I add any fish or inverts (no sense in stressing them for no reason). So I've got some fun projects for this weekend. *thumbsups

All the hardware/equipment I have now should work for a while (I may need to upgrade lighting down the road). I may also opt for a couple "larger" powerheads, a fellow local reefer has offered me two Koralia 1's for $40, seems like a decent deal, but I'm going to check new pricing first. Couple things I know I need are a new piece of "egg crate" for my top, and another bag of Aragonite sand.

Since I'm going through the trouble of "up sizing" I'm going to toss in this last piece of LR too, it was originally too large for the 20g, the only problem is, it may push back my stocking date a few weeks (End of Oct. maybe?), mostly cuz I want to watch to see if I get a ammonia spike from this last piece of rock.

I'll post some pics after I get things moved & settled.

...Shame I can't change the name of this thread to My 29g Journal :p

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
just a quick question, not trying to steal your thread... would a 150mh be enough light for a 29 gallon? im about to set 1 up also.. also do you think my fish will all be ok in there.. besides the tang of course..
Maroon Clown
YWG
Fire fish
Cleaner shrimp

ill probably donate the chromis.. whats a good HOB skimmer, im not going to run a sump, also should i use 2 hydor # 1's or 2's? Wow really looks like im stealing your thread lol.. sorry

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
150w mh would be ideal for a tank that size... on the stocking maroons can get pretty big and tend to be more aggressive in smaller tanks...for a HOB skimmer id go with a remora and on the powerheads 2 #1's or a 1 and a 2 would be good

btw whats goin on you gettin rid of your 150g???

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
yea with winter getting here soon i need to pay off some bills and were looking to move in the spring so i don't wanna have to move everything.. do i want to get rid of it... no but i don't see any other way.. my daughters b-day is comming up also so were gonna need some extra cash for that, and i wanna get a new tat lol.. theres 200 bucks right there.. in the 150 the maroon doesn't ever leave his nem so im not to worried about it... i wanted to sell the whole setup for 800 but ive got some people interested in some different things and i think ill make more money if i part it out in the long run

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
sorry to hear your considering selling again ... i may be interested in the skimmer though :D ...
Jim_Leyland said:
and i wanna get a new tat lol.. theres 200 bucks right there..
and belive me me i kno what its like wanting a new tat ive got over 50 hrs worth :eek: and want another 50 btw i keep track by the hrs now since im all sleeved up its hard to keep track :p

Last edited:

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
9/26/07 Update w/ Pics

OK here's the pics I promised (Note: there is some clouding, as I recently moved a few things). These pics are of the new 29g setup

The tank now has approx. 40lbs Fiji LR & 30 Lbs Aragonite Sand. (I may add some tonga branch later, but we'll see) If you look close you'll see 24 shells laying along the bottom, I was at the LFS yesterday, and the wife couldn't resist picking up a handful of various sized shells for the Hermits (No we didn't actually buy the hermits yet). If my water params continue to look good, I may be able to start stocking my CUC as early as next weekend (10/6/07 hopefully).

Here is a full tank shot under "Full Daylighting" (new 10,000K lamp) Notice the large rock on the left, that one is the new addition, all other rocks were transfered from the 20g. (plenty of room along the sides for the MagFloat TRe ;) )

Here are a few from different angles.

Here is one with just Actinic lighting.

Here is one with no "main tank" lighting, what you see is the lighting from the HOB refugium, I use it as "night lighting" as it's on an alternate schedule from the DT.

Here is one of my die-hard little Kenya Tree, I thought for sure it would have died during the cycle, but it hung in there, and is actually growing fairly well. :eek:

And finally I grabbed one last timer, now everything is automated, I've got it set for 10 hours actinic and 8 hours Daylight (The actinic comes on an hour before the daylights, and stays on an hour after they go off). The refugium lighting is on whenever the Actinics are off.

OK.....What do ya' think? Suggestions?