My 20g Journal "Pic Warning" (now a 29g!)

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Looking nice :D

Automation really makes things a lot easier. :)
Thanks Lotus!!

Yea, automation has certainly made my lighting schedule easier to keep :D Now I need to set up similar systems on my remaining FW tanks.....I cringe when my electric bill shows up every month :eek: . Having things on timer hopefully may shave a few bucks off of it.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
I say you have a Great Looking 29 G there great job . hope mine come out looking that good .
Thank You :D

how do you like you sand bed ? is 30 Pounds enuff ? about how deep is it ?
Well, it moves around a bit but I'd say it's close to "4 in most areas. I had recently been reading up on Deep Sand Beds (per Lorna's Suggestions) and though I'm a little on the light side (Should be closer to 6") I'm going to give it a go, I can always add additional sand as needed. Hopefully Lorna or another DSB user will chime in with further suggestions :D

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
looking very good!! with the fuge light on at night though it looks like it may be a little too much as far as moonlights you may wanna try and block some of it out

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
looking very good!! with the fuge light on at night though it looks like it may be a little too much as far as moonlights you may wanna try and block some of it out
Thanks TRe!

Yea, I'm actually going today to the craft store today to get some black "plastic sheeting" to cover a portion of the top rear of the tank for that purpose, the light looks nice, but I agree it's too much. My next light will hopefully have some luner lights built right into the hood.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Looks great, you may want to add more sand as arragonite will deplete over time.....it actually dissolves and needs to be replenished to keep the depth. I would add another inch. Is that rock sitting on top of the sand? If so make sure it is stable if you add any sand sifting gobies etc.....you want to make sure you don't have a rock fall. otherwise you are on track....nice little kenya tree.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Looks great, you may want to add more sand as arragonite will deplete over time.....it actually dissolves and needs to be replenished to keep the depth. I would add another inch. Is that rock sitting on top of the sand? If so make sure it is stable if you add any sand sifting gobies etc.....you want to make sure you don't have a rock fall. otherwise you are on track....nice little kenya tree.

Thanks Lorna!!

I put egg crate on the bottom, then I placed the rock in, and then I added the aragonite, so technically the rock is setting directly on the bottom, so it should be fairly stable. I didn't know aragonite dissolves (good info) so I'll definately keep an eye on the level, and look into getting some reef sand. to bring the level up a bit.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
it take time to dissolve.......this disolution is how it buffers the water. The high ph of the salt water dissolves the calcium carbonate of the sand. This is a good thing. Just add more sand later and a good way to do that is to use a piece of tubing or pvc to the bottom and pour the sand down the tube to make sure you don't cause a sand storm...

I have a diamond gobie who has moved most of my sand from the front of my tank to the back behind my rock work........I now either have to move the sand back.....or add more....

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
10/8/07 Update...I've got Crabs!

Ok...I don't have Crabs, but my tank does :p

I picked up 2 Blue Legged Hermits on Sunday, after I acclimated them they went into hiding, but one came out for a photo shoot today.. The pics aren't great, but you get the idea.

I found a bunch of these guys in my tank recently, I don't know what they are, maybe feather dusters? (They come out of little white tubes, that it appears they made themselves).

I don't know what all the "white specs" are on the back of the tank, the pics don't show it, but if you look close, they look like little tops or corkscrews.

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Nice shoot of the Blue Legged crab . I just picked one up myself too . He did not hide thou maybe . He started eat my sand bed , then climbed up on rocks and started going to town . with a fury of stuff always flying around where he was at .

Looking Good !!!

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Nice shoot of the Blue Legged crab . I just picked one up myself too . He did not hide thou maybe . He started eat my sand bed , then climbed up on rocks and started going to town . with a fury of stuff always flying around where he was at .

Looking Good !!!
Thanks!

Yea, I made a mistake and didn't turn the lights off after they got into the tank, The tank they came from was rather dim, and I think my bright lighting kinda freaked them out. They are both out now going nuts on the rock, busy lil' goofs LOL

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Hmmm Aptaisia huh? Well a simple web search tells me they are undesirable, but I'm not sure it's an exact match to the pics I saw (pretty darn close though).

For the sake of not having future trouble, I'll tweezer the thing out tomorrow. I did look close at it, and it's different than the other things I'm seeing in my tank, the other creatures, clearly come out of white "hard" tubes, where as the creature I have pictured appears to be more directly connected to the rock.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you poke it with something hard (not your finger), does it retract into the rock?

If it is aptasia, it's better to squirt it with hot water, vinegar or get a commercial "cure" to get rid of it. I think if you just do tweezers, it will grow back.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
first of all nice pics...... but what you have pictured there is definitly aptasia :p when i first saw one of them i got all happy and thought it was some cool hitchhicker* before i knew it 1 turned into 20 :eek: i got a few peppermint shrimp and within a week they ate them all ..... theres no gaurentee that the peppermint shrimp will actually eat them but theres a good chance.... you may wanna think about adding one of those to your CUC *thumbsups oh yea and what you say has a "white hard tube" sound more like a feather duster to me

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
first of all nice pics......
Thanks TRe! I musta took 50 pics to get those few Macro shots to look decent ;)

but what you have pictured there is definitly aptasia :p when i first saw one of them i got all happy and thought it was some cool hitchhicker* before i knew it 1 turned into 20 :eek: i got a few peppermint shrimp and within a week they ate them all ..... theres no gaurentee that the peppermint shrimp will actually eat them but theres a good chance.... you may wanna think about adding one of those to your CUC *thumbsups
Well....That sucks :mad: I'll check out some peppermints at the LFS tonight, and if all else fails I'll grab some Joe's Juice.

oh yea and what you say has a "white hard tube" sound more like a feather duster to me
Yea thats what I was thinking too, I found a few pics online of some feather dusters, and they look the same as mine.

You can see the "tubes" in the background of my hermit pics if you look close.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Actually the red legged hermit is not a scarlet which are the reef safe ones. That one is one of the more aggressive ones of which I have a few that I recently relegated to the dungeon for shelljacking.