gravel size

chiphead

Small Fish
Sep 30, 2007
Hi Folks,

I've recently set up my 125 with a very coarse gravel, kind of like a stream or river rock, average size probably between 1/4 and 1/2 inch. Any known issues using a stone this coarse? Currently have half a dozen Malawis in there and they are doing fine. I appreciate your opinions.

Partly depends on what you are stocking with.
If you are stocking bottom feeders then they may want something softer.
Also the larger gravel size may allow "junk" to fall between the pebbles further fowling the water. But I don't know how tightly the gravel packs itself together. That would be much more of a problem for smooth river rocks as opposed to crushed gravel.

chiphead

Small Fish
Sep 30, 2007
Partly depends on what you are stocking with.
If you are stocking bottom feeders then they may want something softer.
Also the larger gravel size may allow "junk" to fall between the pebbles further fowling the water. But I don't know how tightly the gravel packs itself together. That would be much more of a problem for smooth river rocks as opposed to crushed gravel.
Thanks Jedi. That was part of my concern. The tank holds 2 Kribensis, which are bottom feeders, 2 bumblebees and 2 St. Johanni's along with a random tiger barb. Junk will definitely fall into the coarse pebbles but so will water flow? Thanks for your input.

You'll just want to vacuum well.
Stuff with any weight settles to the bottom as sediment. moving water doesn't settle. So unless you have some strong jets moving water across the bottom of the tank the junk will stay on the bottom, and eventually work its way into the openings of the gravel.
But like I said... vacuum well. Water vacs are your friend.