Coral feeding

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
well for the frogspawn i use a turkey baster and squirt thawed mysis shrimps at it and it catches most of them...i also turn off the pumps so the water doesnt blow them away. as for the ricordea i use tweasers and insert it directly to the mouth.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
A lot of trouble that isn't necessary. If you have good light (for the frogspawn) and you have other fish in the tank the coral will take what they want from the water column. These two don't really need to be target fed like a sun coral. You could also try some reef chili or frozen plankton/cyclopeeze

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i use frozen cyclopeeze and recomend it... i dont even target feed that often i usually just add it right to the tank and with good water movment it gets to everything and the fish eat what the corals dont get to...btw your putting way to much effort into it and probally over feeding in the process.. the tweezers is a little over board :p

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i use frozen cyclopeeze and recomend it... i dont even target feed that often i usually just add it right to the tank and with good water movment it gets to everything and the fish eat what the corals dont get to...btw your putting way to much effort into it and probally over feeding in the process.. the tweezers is a little over board :p
i just used the tweezers like once with success...like when the ricordea opens it's mouth after half-way into one piece of mysis i jam 3 more in there *BOUNCINGS its pretty funny but to my surprise the mouth just got bigger and ate everything *twirlysmi

i'll try to switch over to cyclopeeze.

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
1. Thaw Mysis
2. Use 5ml open end syringe (not as big as turkey baster and big enough for the bigger chunks).
3. Turn off pumps
4. Ric's can get a splash of shrimp anyway near their mouths and eventually will eat it all. Even if you dont aim at the mouth they can close up a little so that the shrimp trickles to the mouth.
5. I have a torch and it shows its mouth a good 4-5mins after the lights come off for the day, so I feed it then.

Again, thats a lot of work to do, so I dont do it alot, maybe twice a month or so. The rest they get from what the fish dont eat.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i dont know if this is related but...i noticed that my frogspawn has a lot of stinging tentacles tips instead of the part that absorbs light...

is it because its not getting enough light and its growing more stinging parts to make up for it?

i running a 30w florescent light and its pretty close maybe 3-4" from the surface....