Clownfish - its feeding time

sdivell

Medium Fish
Jul 20, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I picked up a wild caught Ocerriles clownfish from my LFS yesturday on my way home from work. He was very stressed when first put into the tank but once I put in some frozen mysis shrimp he devoured it and seemed to settle down after that.

I know clowns are omnivours and was wondering what else i should try with this little guy? just to make him more comfortable and get to know that when he sees me at the tank its a good chances he's getting some food!

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
clowns fish are addicted to brine shrimp but i wont feed them that...since it can be bad for them. maybe once in a while.

mysis shrimps are pretty common i use flakes sometimes cuz its just easier...
and they seem to love it more then mysis.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Mysis, cyclopeeze, formula one/two, prime reef flake......alternating......and every second or third day.......I wouldn't feed frozen food every day maybe every other day.....with very small amounts of flake in between. You don't want to overfeed. aslo if you do give them brine make sure that it is enriched brine shrimp or at least soaked in something like selcon...'''

overfeeding can lead to high nutrients and then to algae outbreaks.....your fish are better off a bit on the hungry side than the overfed side.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I like the frozen spirulina enriched brine shrimp, alternating with other goodies.

I have some frozen daphnia that I wouldn't recommend for normal sized fish like clowns, it is so tiny and I doubt they catch even half of it. If you can find the little jar of zooplankton (I think), everything seemed to love that. But it needs to be refrigerated.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
clowns will eat anything. Mysis is the most nutritional along with good flake like spectrum or prime reef. Brine even the enriched is good for a treat but even then not that nutritional...unless it is live and loaded......I wouldn't worry about too much variety for a pair of clowns as I said they will eat anything....and usually turn into little food pigs.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
clowns will eat anything. Mysis is the most nutritional along with good flake like spectrum or prime reef. Brine even the enriched is good for a treat but even then not that nutritional...unless it is live and loaded......I wouldn't worry about too much variety for a pair of clowns as I said they will eat anything....and usually turn into little food pigs.
yes clowns will eat anything...endlessly..
when i fed them prime reef they still went after my corals mysis shrimps and noticed their stomachs enlarged....so i skipped feeding for a while until their back to normal...

iv seen my clowns eat the chaeto that floats around sometimes.
and copepods that crawl around.