Betta's in a community tank?

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
My community tank is listed below. Although once my 29gal is back up and running, the goldfish are coming out. Would it be possible to put a Betta in there? I may add more fish, once I get the goldfish out.

If I can put one in, what fish should I put in, and what should I NOT put in?

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
well I had a betta in with fancy guppies and neon tetras and they all interacted just fine. However it depends on the temperament of the betta- some won't mind any fish, and others will not tolerate anyone in his space. If you decide to try I would talk to your LFS and work something out so you can return the betta if he acts up and you can try another one.

I have heard that bettas will not like to have any gouramis or guppies in their tanks, as they could attack the guppies for their finnage and the gouramis because they are related.

On a side note, you might want to consider modifying your signature as it seems to be twice the size of all of your posts... my suggestion would be to put your picture as your avatar, and that should fix it up.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
well I had a betta in with fancy guppies and neon tetras and they all interacted just fine. However it depends on the temperament of the betta- some won't mind any fish, and others will not tolerate anyone in his space. If you decide to try I would talk to your LFS and work something out so you can return the betta if he acts up and you can try another one.

I have heard that bettas will not like to have any gouramis or guppies in their tanks, as they could attack the guppies for their finnage and the gouramis because they are related.

On a side note, you might want to consider modifying your signature as it seems to be twice the size of all of your posts... my suggestion would be to put your picture as your avatar, and that should fix it up.

So it's kinda hit and miss with putting them in a community tank huh?!

Note: Thanks for the note about the sig. I had not really paid attention to it...it was kinda huge, huh?

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
thank you for fixing your sig- much better :D

And yeah, it really is hit and miss. I got a hit with my old betta, but I have heard of a lot of misses as well. If you like the look of female bettas I have heard they are almost a 100% hit and you need not worry about anything with them.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
thank you for fixing your sig- much better :D

And yeah, it really is hit and miss. I got a hit with my old betta, but I have heard of a lot of misses as well. If you like the look of female bettas I have heard they are almost a 100% hit and you need not worry about anything with them.
Ok, cool...next time I go to Pet Palace (only THE greatest pet store in the WORLD!!) I'll discuss it with them, and try to pick one up...they are just so great to look at!

Edit: N/P on the sig! It kinda was enormus!

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
female bettas can be kept in groups in a tank...and for a male betta...you can have them successfully in a community tank as long as there arent any female bettas, gouramis, or fish with long fins that can be nipped

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
well as I said it is hit and miss- I had a male betta in a tank with fancy guppies, including two males, and he was never aggressive to any of the other fish (unless they came near my small bunch of anubias barteri var. nana... he seemed to foster the plant or something lol).

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
One major problem here...goldfish are coldwater fish, bettas are tropical (~78 degrees). They can NOT be kept in the same tank. Your pleco and channel cats would probably also benefit from a heated tank although I'm not an expert on them. A betta absolutely needs a heater and constant tank temp.

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
i have kept my plecos without heated tanks for over 7yrs and they are fine...now they are with my bettas at around 78...
while goldfish are coldwater fish..they live in waters that change with the seasons so they could live in 78 waters but they would not fair as well in the long run
in general keeping a fish in the lower temp spectrum of its range is a good idea bc they live much longer since their metabolism is slower

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Ok, so the consenses (messed that up huh) here is my 55gal is heated, so it's good for the rest of the fish. The goldies could use to come out. I keep it at about 76 to 78 deg. F. Also, once I get them out, I could put a betta in? Man, I wish I had a filter for that 29gal!

When I first started my 20g, I put in a male betta. Then I added some more other fish and eventually even got a female betta. They all live happily together, although the male sometimes chases other fish. It's only for a couple seconds though and he gets over it. It's mostly because others sometimes get too close to his bubble nest.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Well, if all goes well....I'm going to just about empty the fish from my 55GL today. So, when I go to the LFS I'm going to talk to them about getting a Betta and a medium sized school of other small fish. I've decided that even though my 29GL is a touch to small for my goldies, I'm going to leave them in there. I may pull the little guy out, and put him back in the 55GL. So, that would solve my tank to goldfish ratio. Who knows, lets see what today brings!

-Jay