Poor Fishies!!

the_sixx

Medium Fish
Dec 16, 2007
Watertown, NY
OK so i just had a huge spike in my ammonia/nitrate/nitrite levels is this the sign I was looking for? It was amazing how rapidly it spiked even though I do constant water changes!!! Ok another question if fish are sick from elevated levels how long should they take to recover? also how long after should i wait to add new fish? And my last question does anyone here have a recommendation for a gravel vac the one i have now blows i think i can probably clean my gravel better with a McDonald's straw than this thing

Nov 20, 2007
OK so i just had a huge spike in my ammonia/nitrate/nitrite levels is this the sign I was looking for? It was amazing how rapidly it spiked even though I do constant water changes!!! Ok another question if fish are sick from elevated levels how long should they take to recover? also how long after should i wait to add new fish? And my last question does anyone here have a recommendation for a gravel vac the one i have now blows i think i can probably clean my gravel better with a McDonald's straw than this thing
Need more info. New tank? Inhabitants?

A new tank takes 3-6 weeks to cycle. Ammonia first, then nitrites, then nitrates, never at the same time.

If you were just adding new fish, you probably had a mini-cycle.

Python products for vacuuming. I like mine...

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Fish will not recover from severe ammonia poisoning and will die, this is why you MUST keep the levels down in the first place. Do as many water changes as necessary to keep those levels at 0. Do NOT add any new fish for at least a month after your tank has been completely cycled.

the_sixx

Medium Fish
Dec 16, 2007
Watertown, NY
ok well I had 2 marigold swordtails 2 red tailed dalmation platys and 3 regular dalmation platys I added the regular dalmations a wekk and a half ago and the water had been safe every day but yesterday morning the amonia level was around 5 when i woke up and I had been doing 50% water changes every 3 days i lost 3 fish after doing a complete 100% water change and wash every thing the plants rocks etc the fish are doing great now but it blew me away that it spiked so quick i guess it was a painful learnig mistake

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Keep an eye on it, with that many fish in there, it will spike again quickly if you don't keep up with the water changes. Remember, those spikes are deadly to fish.