Saltwater tank VS. Freshwater tank / Salt or freshwater fish

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
HI, i just got a brand new 22 gal. tank for christmas along with a heater, filter and other things.. i already have 2 betta's and a guppy and now i need to decide which kind of tank i want now in this large cube shaped tank....personally i would like a school of tetras or some sort of non-agresive social fish i can have schooling together. Also a bottom dwelling fish would be great too! i need some suggestions fast cuz i'm going to petco tomorrow to get some extra supplies which may include salt if necessary...

P.S.-live plants or silk? two airaters or one, since it's more deep?

Thanks *twirlysmi

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Ok here goes my suggestions.

1: Since you already have freshwater fish, I'd stick with freshwater...its cheaper anyway.

2: as for the tetras, they would be great for a nice little school of fish. I personally have tiger barbs, yes they are a little more aggressive that tetras, they can be a bit "nippy". So, I'd stick with the tetras if you want non-aggressive.

3: For bottom dwellers in a tank that size I'd go with some cory cats. They will stick to the bottom and clean up whats left. They also dont get real big. So you should be able to keep them in there the whole time you have them.

4: As for the plants...that depends on how much time you want to let the tank sit before adding fish...with live plants, I would suggest letting them get situated and stable in the tank before adding fish.

5: Make sure to cycle the tank, before adding your fish.
How To Cycle - By "MissFishy

Other than that, best of luck with the new tank...and welcome to the tank!

Let us know of any other questions you may have,

-Jay

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Defiantly be sure to cycle your tank properly or you will just come back with fish dying and wondering what your doing wrong. Patience is key and make sure to do as much research as possible and not just buying on impulse of what looks good.

Lastly don't trust everything your LFS (local fish store) tells you. Some are accurate some aren't. Take what they say then ask here or search other places online to lots of information on the fish you want to get. You will have a successful tank if you have patience and take the time to do your research.

Welcome and good luck with whatever you do. Hope to see you around the site though!

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
Thanks a bunch! i'm tottally gunna take your advice... have fun with your tanks too... THANKS

1: Since you already have freshwater fish, I'd stick with freshwater...its cheaper anyway.

2: as for the tetras, they would be great for a nice little school of fish. I personally have tiger barbs, yes they are a little more aggressive that tetras, they can be a bit "nippy". So, I'd stick with the tetras if you want non-aggressive.

3: For bottom dwellers in a tank that size I'd go with some cory cats. They will stick to the bottom and clean up whats left. They also dont get real big. So you should be able to keep them in there the whole time you have them.

4: As for the plants...that depends on how much time you want to let the tank sit before adding fish...with live plants, I would suggest letting them get situated and stable in the tank before adding fish.

5: Make sure to cycle the tank, before adding your fish.
How To Cycle - By "MissFishy

Other than that, best of luck with the new tank...and welcome to the tank!

Let us know of any other questions you may have,

-Jay[/QUOTE]

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
Do you mean if i use real live plants? i don't know if i will because i hear it gets the water real murky... is that true if not please let me know. I'm always up for a more natural aproach...

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
you know I'm not too sure...I just got an aquarium fish mag and saw this gravel thats sapposedly full of calcium and all sorts of good stuff, so i might use that. i really don't know, got any tips?

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Well, its all preference. If your going to use higher maintanence plants, you may want to have some flourite in there, but I would venture to guess that you could lightly cover it with a gravel, maybe a sand.

I dont have a planted tank right now...and I have some sand in my 55gal. I just LOVE the sand myself.

But as with everything else in the tank...do what makes you happy.

-Jay