Making water more acidic...

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
Could you guys tell me how to make the water more acidic? Also, the water in my tank has been evaporating pretty fast...A half a cm. per day. Is that normal?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
What's your pH at now? It's not usually a good idea to mess with pH.

If it's for breeding fish, it's normally the hardness that's more important. You can mix your tapwater with RO (reverse osmosis) water to lower both your hardness and pH, but you will need to mix it at the same ratio at each water change.

In a dry climate, or when you have heating or air conditioning running, it's not unusual to lose a little water each day. Just top off with dechlorinated water, and it should be fine.

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
ohhh? I thought certain fish like to have a lower ph...or softer water? That is what I read and was told...at fish chanel dot com all these different fish got all these different ph levels! I was getting really mad because I was thinking, "Crap, now I can't have all the fish I thought I could." I hope your the fish expert I think you are, because I'll do alot of the things you say for sure! Some make a lot of sense to me too....

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Most common fish will do fine in a wide range of pH. I keep almost all my tanks at 7.6 to 7.8 and haven't had problems. Guppies and bettas will be fine in almost any tapwater pH.

Some sensitive fish such as rams or some of the uncommon tetras or wild caught altum angels won't do well in certain pHs, but those are fish you should think twice about before getting anyway.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
While pearl gouramis are some of the less aggressive gourami, I wouldn't suggest keeping two in the same tank. They also can get pretty large, so I would say your tank would be overstocked with two of them in there. I think you'd be fine with the tetras, corycats, and 1 gourami.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You really can't spawn egg laying fish in a community tank since the eggs will almost always get eaten. In a community setting, I think livebearers are probably the easiest to breed.

Dec 3, 2007
Also, the water in my tank has been evaporating pretty fast...
Hopefully your tank is covered with a hood or canopy - they'll cut down on evaporation. Glass canopies are the best for this purpose. You'll want to cover your tank if it isn't, since lots of fish are energetic jumpers - take it from me :(