Quiet Air Pumps?

martonic

Small Fish
Dec 13, 2007
Hi - what are the quietest air pumps you would recommend for a 55-gallon moderately planted (plus fish) freshwater aquarium?

I am new and setting up a tank for my family and I assume I should pump in CO2 during the day and switch to air at night - isn't that right? But we would like it to stay as quiet as possible - hence my question - thanks!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site :)

Whisper air pumps are really quiet.

Are you using DIY CO2 or a pressurized system? You should set the air pump on a timer to run opposite the lights. It will depend on your setup on whether the air pump at night is really necessary.

martonic

Small Fish
Dec 13, 2007
Welcome to the site :)

Whisper air pumps are really quiet.

Are you using DIY CO2 or a pressurized system? You should set the air pump on a timer to run opposite the lights. It will depend on your setup on whether the air pump at night is really necessary.
Hi, thank you!

I am expecting to use "Turbo" CO2 which is a commercialized version of DIY, involving a pump, a canister and replaceable cylinders for CO2 generation.

I have 48 square inches of surface, 55 gallons of water, an XP3 Filstar, Hydor ETH 300W heater and Compact Fluorescent 4x55W lighting - and we are imagining 2 Blue Gouramis, 6 Rainbow Fish and 6 Congo Tetras (when fully stocked) - in a medium planted tank (about midway between lightly planted and fully-planted). Does that sound reasonable?

I am thinking some air bubbles at night will be appropriate.

All advice and suggestions are more than welcome!

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
How big of an airstone? Because if you use the big ones, lots of algae will clump up in it after time...You might want to go with a split valve and have two 6in. airstones at each end of the tank...just thinkin'

martonic

Small Fish
Dec 13, 2007
How big of an airstone? Because if you use the big ones, lots of algae will clump up in it after time...You might want to go with a split valve and have two 6in. airstones at each end of the tank...just thinkin'
Hi and thanks again. As a total newbie I need your help to find my way!

I am considering the following purchase:

A) Whisper Air Pump "100GAL" model (is there a reason to get less power?)
B) Lees Elite Airline Tubing (20 feet)

C (if needed): Hagen Ultra Four Way Valve - will this distribute the flow in two directions?

D)Holders:
Airline Suction Cup (10 Pack) by Spot / Ethical Products
(or)
Lees Airline Holders (6 Pack) - same price - is this better?

E) One (long) or two airstones:

Kordon Mist Air (fine or medium?)
(or)
Lees Bubble Cascade (available up to 23 inches long)
(or)
Hagen Aqua Fizzzz (4, 6, & 12 inch models or 5 & 10 inch chainable ones are available)
(or)
Marineland Bubble Wand (available up to 23 inches long)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited: