Help Please!!!

Dec 29, 2007
i just ciphered the water out of my tank...ive had for about 2 months now..

i put new RO saltwater in it...and replaced the gravel with sand....

now, my filter doesnt seem to want to work..

what do i do??? please help

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Have you tried filling it with water and plugging it back in? Does it make any noise when you have it plugged in? Have you tried removing the impeller and reseating it?

I'm hoping you also have a powerhead or two in the tank. They're essential in a saltwater setup; a filter is less necessary in a tank with live rock.

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
That filter should have a warranty...if it won't work for sure, go to your LFS and ask for an exchange. Also, do you have a live reef in there? What else should people know about the tank and setup?

Dec 29, 2007
Have you tried filling it with water and plugging it back in? Does it make any noise when you have it plugged in? Have you tried removing the impeller and reseating it?
i do have it filled with water, but it just sits there, when i plug it in, nothing happens....and im going to try to take it apart tomorrow and reseating the impeller, we'll see what happens...

That filter should have a warranty...if it won't work for sure, go to your LFS and ask for an exchange. Also, do you have a live reef in there? What else should people know about the tank and setup?
i do have a live rock, thats all...its a 10 gallon tank, i bought it as a setup at wal-mart..it came with the aquarium, filter...etc(what else?)

Dec 29, 2007
update...instead of taking the one i had apart and trying to fix it, i ended up going to animal jungle and bought a new fliter, its a Tetra Whisper Power Filter, Model 20 :) much better, and it seems to work better than the old one too :)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
hmmmm I guess you haven't done a lot of reading of the stickies at the top of this forum or any other books for that matter? You really don't need a filter as your live rock provides the filtration for your tank......provided you have live rock? hopefully you are only planning on keeping fish.

Dec 29, 2007
hmmmm I guess you haven't done a lot of reading of the stickies at the top of this forum or any other books for that matter? You really don't need a filter as your live rock provides the filtration for your tank......provided you have live rock? hopefully you are only planning on keeping fish.
yes, i do have a live rock..this was kinda unexpected, my friend got kicked out of his apt and gave me his clownfish and a horseshoe crab..:)

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Dont release anything back into the wild . it could cause a outbreak . of some thing forign be added to a eco system that cant support it , or will overtake a certain area . just take it to a lfs and give it to them if they wont give you credit .

Dec 29, 2007
Dont release anything back into the wild . it could cause a outbreak . of some thing forign be added to a eco system that cant support it , or will overtake a certain area . just take it to a lfs and give it to them if they wont give you credit .
okay...makes sense - i wasnt sure what i could do with it...:) thanks