snail outbreak!

statman

Medium Fish
Nov 3, 2004
iowa
Visit site
Thanks to petsmart I now have tons of small pesky snails in my tank. I had them in another tank awhile back and bought a botia loach, and he did a good job of clearing them out. This tank however is only a 10g, is that too small for a botia? What other options do I have?

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
in a 10G? I think your only option would be to buy a small clown loach, but when you buy it you need to make sure you can take it back or sell it somewhere to a bigger home as they get WAY too big for a 10G.

This is why you wash you plants before sticking them in ;)

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
I have heard of people leaving out lettuce or some other leafy vegetable in their tank overnight and that in the morning it will be covered in snails, then just remove the piece and the snails will be gone as well. It didn't work for me, but it's worth a mention.

Other than that, decrease feedings, try mechanical removal (it's not hard to squish the little guys).

I wouldn't suggest buying a fish just to remove something and then you will have a fish you don't want in the end.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
yes I agree. I worded my post wrongly. Clown loaches would be the easiest way, but as chase said you are stuck with fish you shouldn't be.

I once had tiny little nails come in on a plant of mine, but I just nipped it in the bud and made sure that if I saw a snail, I removed it by hand I removed three and never had problems since. However it sounds like you have more than that... a lot more :p.

If you keep on top of taking them out manually it could work, but it will take time and a lot of patience. There are many baiting methods like the one chase described, that can work as well. I have also heard of putting a weekend or holiday feeder block into your tank and the snails will flock to it. Just scrape them off each day and soon enough they will be gone. Never tried it but I heard good things :).

DarrylR

Small Fish
Nov 17, 2007
Yoyo loaches.
Lettuce trick, but you will have to keep repeating.
Mandatory search and destory, by you taking them out of the tank and squishing.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
When my snail population explodes I put a slice of raw potato in a 35mm film canister. I cut a small hole in the lit and connect that to a long string. Each day I pull the trap out of the water and remove the snails.

Normally what I do, however, is squish them against the glass and the angelfish make a quick meal out of the snail as it falls to the bottom. I do this each day when I come home and that helps keep the population down more than any thing.

statman

Medium Fish
Nov 3, 2004
iowa
Visit site
Would a botia be ok in this tank? I enjoyed mine when I had one in the past, he magically dissapeared though. I never found his body. The snails originally came from a fish purchase somehow, not plants. And they got in the 10 gallon when i scooped out substrate from the 120g to put in the 10g.

MalcolmV8

Large Fish
May 31, 2003
Visit site
Humm my fish must love snails because I can't keep any for the life of me. I even tried purchasing one of those large golf ball sized snails thinking my fish couldn't possibly eat him but man sure enough within 2 weeks he was dead but it looked like his body was still mostly in the shell. Or maybe snails just don't live in my tanks??

Tiger29

Small Fish
Mar 8, 2008
Michigan
When my snail population explodes I put a slice of raw potato in a 35mm film canister. I cut a small hole in the lit and connect that to a long string. Each day I pull the trap out of the water and remove the snails.

Normally what I do, however, is squish them against the glass and the angelfish make a quick meal out of the snail as it falls to the bottom. I do this each day when I come home and that helps keep the population down more than any thing.
X2...the 35mm canister is an excellent trap. Just to add, algae waffers also draw them in nicely.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
snails may graze on algae from time to time..but you really have to overfeed your tank, so they can get the food on the bottom
I still overfeed my 10 gallon because of the fry I have in there, but since the tank became overstocked, my snail population has decreased by 1/2. I guess since the guppies, the fry, the oto, and ghost shrimp are now eating just about everything that goes in there, there isn't much for the snails to feast on...