Aquarium TOO clean?

When people come over and see my aquariums they say they seem to be "too clean." I clean them every other week (cleaning the gravel...scrubing the walls for algae, sometimes...doing a 5% water change, mostly.) I have noticed, on this forum (pictures), that other people's aquariums seem to have more algae and stuff growing places (especially the filter area.) Could it be unhealthy for my fish if the tank is "too clean?" Am I doing something wrong? :confused:

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
IMO I don't think there's anything wrong with the tank being too clean. You don't have to have algae for a healthy tank, and I think the reason we all have "stuff growing places" is because we're too lazy to clean it off every time we do a water change. As long as you aren't getting rid of all the beneficial bacteria, you should be fine.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
....... huh.... I have never read a post with someone saying "I have no algae, am I doing somethign wrong" hahahaha.

I am relatively inexperienced... but if my tank was spotless and had no algae I would be singing and dancing around my room all day lol. I think it is fine. Algae doesn't really have any good or bad effects (unless you get a major outbreak), they are just more visually unappealing (can't find the word) and a sort of plague to a person's worked on tank.

No worries- I think you are just fine :).

marvin

Large Fish
Jul 7, 2007
florida
When people come over and see my aquariums they say they seem to be "too clean." I clean them every other week (cleaning the gravel...scrubing the walls for algae, sometimes...doing a 5% water change, mostly.) I have noticed, on this forum (pictures), that other people's aquariums seem to have more algae and stuff growing places (especially the filter area.) Could it be unhealthy for my fish if the tank is "too clean?" Am I doing something wrong? :confused:
watch your algae eater if it is eating fish food you might ading a seradontis(sp) they clean up garbage pull the bottom structer away from the glass and see if the placo will cleen it up.

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
As long as you aren't killing good bacteria, there is nothing wrong...picture it as you cleaning your room. if you're picking up all the dirty clothes on the floor it's not hurting anything. it only hurts when you start to remove the oxygen...hehe. Bad example...( You're probably fine.)