Snail question

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Ok so I found a new snail in my tank today and it seems to be another malaysian trumpet snail but the shell on this one isn't dark and dull colored like the other one I have. Instead this one appears to have a smooth cone shaped shell and the shell is shiny as well. He is pretty fast really and very small. I can't get a decent picture of him because he is so small but I wanted to make sure that the MTS can have shiny shells as well.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well I don't know what it is because it is kinda small but it may be a pond snail now that I look at that picture again (I checked there before).

Pond snails are usually more of a hassle then anything aren't they?

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
My clown loach can track a snail down in my 75 no problem. I believe there are a couple of other loaches that do this too, as well as cichlids. The tanks at one of the local Petsmarts is infested, but the loach and cichlid tanks are clean as can be.

I was actually trying to get a population of them in my tank and even put a plant covered with their eggs in with my others. 24 hours later it was picked clean too :(

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I don't mind a few snails in my tank but its only 10 gallons so I don't want it to get over run with them and its really too small probably for one of the snail eating fish. I will leave this one in the tank for now though till I start having issues with snails.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
I don't mind a few snails in my tank but its only 10 gallons so I don't want it to get over run with them and its really too small probably for one of the snail eating fish. I will leave this one in the tank for now though till I start having issues with snails.
That's been my policy with my own 10G. I was initially worried that my pond snail population would explode when I saw my first one; and it has grown considerably, though it's not yet problematic. They do a pretty good job on the algae.

What I've noticed that the other fish find snail eggs to be a yummy snack. My main snail concern right now is that the fish I suspect to be the principle snail egg eater is in quarantine. :(

If they do begin to reproduce out of control, I will not hesitate to take measures to drop the population. ;)

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Hey guys, I do have but one question, I'm sorry to possibly derail the thread on this one...

How are people exactly getting these snails into their tank? Are they just coming in off of the plants that people are planting into their tank? Are they coming from fish? Or is it possible that they just kind of "spawn" out of nowhere?

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I got a Malaysian Trumpet snail in my Eco-Complete substrate, but it comes with liquid in it so I would guess if it is fresh you could get a hitch hiker like I did. My other snail must have come on one of my new plants because it showed up less then a week after I added new plants to the tank.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I was looking at my plants just now and I saw 2 more little tiny pond snails, SO... to avoid an problem with them I have an old small hex that I believe is 2 gallons. I'm going to get that setup and running and start taking the pond snails I find and putting them in the hex for now. I may put one a couple pieces of the moneywort or the wisteria in there as well. I will replace the incandescent bulb with a 10w compact fluorescent bulb so it should have enough light hopefully. I may put a betta or something in there as well once it cycles.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I was able to snap a great picture of this snail tonight :D

This is one of the ones that I suspect to be a pond snail, there are at least 2 other smaller ones that I have seen in the tank as well. If you know what kind of snail this is please let me know :D