Snail question

trailmule

Large Fish
Jan 2, 2008
I have a hard time killing them. They always seem to want to crawl on my finger - and then I think "awww how cute" and can't do it. But I have done it. And I will keep doing it so I don't get taken over by snails. I just feel bad sometimes...

Good luck alter. Hopefully you are not as soft hearted as me and can just smush them quickly =)

-TM

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm not soft hearted at all :D
Most of what I have heard about the pond snails has been negative but my MTS I don't mind so much. I'm going to start removing the pond snails as I see them so I don't have to worry about them down the road.

trailmule

Large Fish
Jan 2, 2008
Well being hard hearted can be a good thing sometimes!

I will keep some of mine around just to watch them move around. It's also pretty fun to watch them explore the roots of the water lettuce....

Again, good luck killing all yours off. Better you than me! =)

-TM

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
Don't let MTS's fool you. They will bury in the substrate (very good for live plants btw) and come out at night. I thought my snails in one of my other tanks were all eaten til I came down for a midnight snack and saw the glass covered in them.

MTS's do live birth, no egss. The little guys are sooooo tiny.

And the pond snails are so small and they go undetected til to late.

I believe both are asexual too - no mates needed. One can do it all

Jan 19, 2008
yeah i had a small tank that got infested with those things a while back... from the time i saw the first one til the time they pretty much encrusted EVERYTHING in the tank, was about a month and a half. i was probably overfeeding....

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I don't know how many are in my tank at the moment but I'm getting rid of them as I see them. I pulled 2 out a couple nights ago and 7 more last night as I know there are still more in there but some of them are very very tiny so they are hard to spot.

I may also look into setting up some kind of trap deal to catch some.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yeah thats kinda what I remember reading somewhere once. I'm going to have to double check the different options, but I will be putting something in there to attract them so I can just get rid of them.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
The best trap I have used is one I made from a 35mm film canister. I cut a few holes in the top for the snails to crawl into. I tied a long piece of string to the cap so I can pull it out once or twice a day.

I found that the most effective lure was a piece of raw potato.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I will have to look into doing something like that. I pulled out 3 more small snails this morning before I left for class and I will just keep pulling them out as I see them. I don't know if there were eggs on one of the plants I got or if one of the snails that was hiding on the plants laid eggs that are now hatching but it seems like out of nowhere I have tons of little tiny pond snails in my tank.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I did just read on one website that if there is a lack of food to eat that apistogrammas will eat snails so once I get my apistos maybe they will help to control the snails a little bit more. It also said to put an algae wafer in the tank to attract them and just remove that once it has some snails on it. I will pick up some algae wafers right now and see how that works and if that doesn't work out for me I will try the 35mm canister trick or one of the things where you use lettuce.