Please Help! Dead Neon Tetras

Jan 23, 2008
So as some of you may have read in my other thread ( http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...tion-questions/50256-new-member-new-tank.html ), I took my water to get tested last night and they said it was ready for fish. I picked up 4 neon tetra's and introduced them into my new tank. I was up for about 3 hours while they were in there and they were lively as can be. I wake up this morning to 3 dead ones and one that looks like he'll probably be on his way soon. Did I do something wrong? Or did I get crappy fish? The 3 dead ones are in the freezer and they are going back to Pet Co tonight. On the fish that's still alive, when watching him, it looks like his mouth is going up and down (like he's eating or gasping for air) a mile-a-minute. But if he was gasping for air, wouldn't he be at the top? Also, my water temp is right at 75 degrees.

On a side note: For the past week my filter was so quiet that I had to keep checking it to make sure it was running. I must have bumped it or something last night and now it's noisy as can be. Its like it's sucking air but I made sure all of the pipes were tight so I don't know where it could be sucking air from.

Edit: Should I get something more hardy seeing as how these are the first fish in the tank?

Last edited:

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Were you cycling with ammonia or planning to cycle with fish?

If he's really gasping it sounds like you have chlorine in the water or high nitrites (which effects their ability to absorb oxygen).

Do you have the tests to test your water yourself?

Jan 23, 2008
Were you cycling with ammonia or planning to cycle with fish?

If he's really gasping it sounds like you have chlorine in the water or high nitrites (which effects their ability to absorb oxygen).

Do you have the tests to test your water yourself?
I cycled with ammonia. Also I'm not sure if he's really gasping, but that's what it looks like. I put in the dechlorination about a week ago when I first put the water in the tank.

No, I don't have the test to test the water myself. That's the only thing I have left to buy. They told me to bring back the dead fish and a sample of the water (but the water hasn't changed in 8 hours since I had them test it last night).

Edit: This is what they gave me to put in the tap water to get rid of the chlorine. Amazon.com: AquaSafe Water Conditioner w/BioExtract, 3.38 Ounces: Kitchen & Dining

Last edited:

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
Typically if fish croak within the first 12 hours or so, I tend to think it is either extremely toxic water, extremely poor acclimation, or something was wrong with the fish.

Post parameters for water (nitrates, nitrites, ammonia) and let us know how you acclimated the fish to the tank.

Jan 23, 2008
Typically if fish croak within the first 12 hours or so, I tend to think it is either extremely toxic water, extremely poor acclimation, or something was wrong with the fish.

Post parameters for water (nitrates, nitrites, ammonia) and let us know how you acclimated the fish to the tank.
I don't know the parameters because I took the water to the store and they tested it and said it was fine and ready for fish.

I brought my fish home from the store and floated the bag in the water. After about 10 minutes I opened the bag and put in about 1/2 cup of tank water. I let it float for about 15 more minutes and put in another 1/2 cup of water and let it float for about 15 more minutes. I then netted the fish and put them in the tank.

Like I said before, for about the 3 hours I was up, they were very active and curious swimming all around being very lively.

I am taking the fish back to Pet Co tonight and getting a refund. I didn't like how the sales person acted towards me and in some other tanks it looked like the fish weren't doing too hot. I should have went with my gut to begin with.

I am going to take another sample to a LFS that I heard about just today and see what they say.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
If I'm right you've only been cycling for like a week right? It takes 2 to 4 weeks to cycle a tank with ammonia (or anything really).

You did everything right for introducing the fish. Next time like cchase said make sure they give you the numbers (and write them down so you can let us know!). I had the same thing happen to me when I started and just got frusterated with the people telling me 'it's okay' and bought my own test kit.

I know this is disheartening to start but it will get better we promise! Next time go with your gut and don't let a store person tell you other wise. I remember once I dearly wanted to buy a specific fish but there was a dead fish in the tank so I didn't and good thing cause I went back two days later and the whole tank was empty I guess the whole batch was infected with something or died off.

In my opinion I would guess your ammonia's peeking and probably wouldn't add anything to the fish tank until you have the numbers for you water perameters.

Jan 23, 2008
If I'm right you've only been cycling for like a week right? It takes 2 to 4 weeks to cycle a tank with ammonia (or anything really).

You did everything right for introducing the fish. Next time like cchase said make sure they give you the numbers (and write them down so you can let us know!). I had the same thing happen to me when I started and just got frusterated with the people telling me 'it's okay' and bought my own test kit.

I know this is disheartening to start but it will get better we promise! Next time go with your gut and don't let a store person tell you other wise. I remember once I dearly wanted to buy a specific fish but there was a dead fish in the tank so I didn't and good thing cause I went back two days later and the whole tank was empty I guess the whole batch was infected with something or died off.

In my opinion I would guess your ammonia's peeking and probably wouldn't add anything to the fish tank until you have the numbers for you water perameters.
I am going to go buy a test kit today after work. Can I get the strips?

I'll be going home in about an hour for lunch and I will see if the 4th, and last fish, is still alive. It's got to be my water. I knew that girl didn't know what she was talking about but I went against my gut. And of course my SO was with me and wanted the fish oh so badly.

Last edited:

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I would recommend the drops if you can afford them. They're way more accurate and flexable (you can just test one thing at a time if you're concerned about something specific rather then testing everything all the time).

You might also when you have it, want to test the water coming right out of your tap as well. I was really suprised to find my tap water is very acidic and I had to keep that in mind when picking fish who could tolerate it. (though once in the tank the PH for my tank goes to neutral some how).

You need tests for PH, Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites.

Jan 23, 2008
Well I went to my LFS to get a test kit and they were all out but were getting some in later this afternoon. I am taking a sample of water to them and having them test it for me. The lady said the owner (who will test it) is very honest and knowledgeable will let me know exactly what I need to do.

I went home for lunch and the 4th and final fish was dead. So we will see what the water sample tests at and I will post up the numbers here later tonight when I get back.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Good luck. I'm sorry about your neons. Stick with the local fish store though they'll probably be more reliable and honest with you (I hope). THough there's no harm in buying the test kit from the pet store they're the same every where, if you cant get it at the LFS.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I would highly suggest you do NOT take any advice from anyone that works at a fish store. You need to buy your own test kits, drop style for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH. You did not cycle your tank for long enough. Further, if you just added the water conditioner this past week, you were likely not cycling at all since chlorine kills off bacteria, even good bacteria in a tank. I suggest you take your ammonia, get NO more fish, and fishlessly cycle your tank properly. If you're confused on how to do this, take a look at the link in my signature. Yes, it's hard to look at an empty tank for a few weeks, but take that time to reorganize it so it will be perfect for your fish when it is safe to have them. And for heavens sake, stay away from the silly flimsy neons!!!

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
I might have to disagree with MissFishy on the neons...I LOVE my neons. They are my fave fish that I have. And they have outlived all my newbie mistakes thus far:)
But whatever u get, do make sure the tank is cycled or you will have TONS of water changes in your future.