Cichlid Tank

Feb 2, 2008
Michigan, USA
My Cichlid tank (55g) seems to be too inactive, most of the fish are lethargic, is there any sort of way to liven them up any (other than the usual water change, move around the decor kinda stuff, i do that and it has little effect)?

Also, feel free to comment on my tanks, shown in my signature.

well, let me say this (mainly because i hear the following a lot)

my goldfish are fine right were they are, they arent very big and are quite happy in their nature

the lab and jewel in the ten gal are very small and were being bullied in the 55g and that is just temporary until they grow some

hopefully that clears some things up...thanks

Last edited:

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
Well the convicts come from CA and the rest of the cichlids come from africa and its not good to mix them. Your pleco might be a problem in the long run as well. Your 20gal and 10gal are overstocked. The rule usually is 20gal for the first goldfish and 10 for each one after. I would move the electric yellow lab over to the 55gal tank, and would probably do the same with the jewel.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Welcome to the tank!

I'm not sure about the question that your asking here but as far as your other tanks go I would say that the 2 goldfish in a 20g is too small.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
he knows he's overstocked- he wants to know how to liven his fish up.... sorry, but we have bad people say there are problems with this and here it is haha. Anyone know how to liven up his cichlids??

marvin

Large Fish
Jul 7, 2007
florida
My Cichlid tank (55g) seems to be too inactive, most of the fish are lethargic, is there any sort of way to liven them up any (other than the usual water change, move around the decor kinda stuff, i do that and it has little effect)?

Also, feel free to comment on my tanks, shown in my signature.

well, let me say this (mainly because i hear the following a lot)

my goldfish are fine right were they are, they arent very big and are quite happy in their nature

the lab and jewel in the ten gal are very small and were being bullied in the 55g and that is just temporary until they grow some

hopefully that clears some things up...thanks
how old is this tank??

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Nope Goldfish need LOTS of space. 20G for the first goldfish, +10G at least for everyone after that.

Most goldfish grow HUGE given the proper care. They're also very very very messy fish.