Live rock

ccso139

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2008
Everyone was so helpful with my ro/di questions. Now, can someone help me find some live rock that won't require my first born child to get it :) I need about 55-60lbs and I will admit to having a problem w/ paying $400 or $500 for rock. Thanks Chris

Price

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2008
I purchased "walt Smith" fully cured live rock and it has worked out fine so far. I got a mild ammonia spike that cycled pretty fast. I ordered it through a lfs (who I'm sure got some of the cut since they obsorbed the shipping) and it was about $5 a pound for a 44 pound box. I ordered it at 1pm on a Thursday and it was delivered to the store at 10am Friday.

I've found out since then you can go directly to the "walt Smith" site although I've never ordered direct from them personally.

Not sure if this was a good deal or not but concidering the cost of buying the rock that was stocked in 2 lfs in the area it was about half the cost.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Buy a little of the good stuff and a lot of the cheap stuff. In time it'll all be good stuff.

I also ordered Wall Smith rock off of Ebay. It was OK. Have of the order was very nice porus rock and the other half not so much.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
expect to pay for good live rock. Sometimes you can find it on the forums for sale by those breaking down their systems. If you have to buy from an lfs expect to pay about 5-8 dollars a pound for good rock. You can buy on ebay or online but remember you are buying sight unseen.

ccso139

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2008
expect to pay for good live rock. Sometimes you can find it on the forums for sale by those breaking down their systems. If you have to buy from an lfs expect to pay about 5-8 dollars a pound for good rock. You can buy on ebay or online but remember you are buying sight unseen.

I was hoping to find someone that was breaking down a tank, but so far no such luck. But, I have the tank in the house and all the equipment strowed all over the house. Does anyone have a degree in rocket science that can help me hook all this stuff up?

ccso139

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2008
This seems like a good deal: Fiji Premium Quality Un-Cured Live Rock and it's a reputable vendor. It's a 44lb box of Fiji uncured for $200, including shipping.

You can make up the other 10lbs or so later at a LFS, or count on adding a few pieces here and there if you're buying corals that are attached to LR.
Here's what I have come up w/ so far, what does everyone think about this?

Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available, base rock, live rock, reef rock, marco rock, reef tank saltwater fish, live corals, Marco rocks, Fiji live rock, Tonga Live rock

20 pounds of Tonga Rock/20 pounds of Australian spaghetti rock ($99 to my door) and about 20 pounds of live rock from the LFS. The guy that I got the tank from said that he had 80 pounds in it, but then someone else told me that I only needed about 40 pounds. I am getting morer and morer confused!!! :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Between one and two pounds of LR per gallon is the usual rule of thumb. One pound per gallon is probably the minimum.

The Marco rocks are supposedly great base rock, but you'll need to stock extra slowly and keep the bioload low for the first few months until the base rock becomes live.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I bought all my rock (150+ lbs of it) from here.....I live within an hours drive and handpicked my rock. I can vouch for their pools and curing tanks, they have a large operation that is above average. They may not be the cheapest but they are one of the best. Remember you get what you pay for.

Live Rock: Premium Aquatics

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
have u tried reef central? i know theres pretty much always someone breaking down a tank and getting rid of a bunch of great stuff at crazy prices on my local reef club forum there

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Just a word of causion if you plan on buying from an unknow source... ie. a teardown of a tank from someone online whom you do not know.

I would be asking yourself and them... why are they selling there LR?, have they every treated the tank with chemicals?, if the system is already down has the LR been properly stored to keep it LIVE?.... etc....
If you feel confident in there respons and you seen the LR in person and all looks good then, hey... if the price is right!

ccso139

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2008
have u tried reef central? i know theres pretty much always someone breaking down a tank and getting rid of a bunch of great stuff at crazy prices on my local reef club forum there
I think that I posted a WTB on there, but I will double check. That is just the way that my luck runs.... no one is trying to get rid of what I need, when I need it :)

ccso139

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2008
Just a word of causion if you plan on buying from an unknow source... ie. a teardown of a tank from someone online whom you do not know.

I would be asking yourself and them... why are they selling there LR?, have they every treated the tank with chemicals?, if the system is already down has the LR been properly stored to keep it LIVE?.... etc....
If you feel confident in there respons and you seen the LR in person and all looks good then, hey... if the price is right!
Thanks, I have been hoping to find someone that is getting out of the hobby or just downgrading, but no luck so far.