Sump modification to incorporate refugium?

ccso139

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2008
I have an amiracle sump (not sure of the model number), that has two chambers and I want to modify it to a three chamber unit to incorporate a refugium. The dimensions of the tank are as follows: 24" long, 10" wide, 14" tall. The sump is divided by a wall that starts at the top and ends about 2" from the bottom of the tank, in the middle of the tank, giving 2 12" chambers. Beside this wall is a sponge and piece of egg crate that is approx 4" tall (to hold the sponge?).

Now to my questions:

(1) If I use the first 12" chamber for the overflow to drain into w/ the skimmer in this section, will the skimmer be able to do it's job effectively enough since some of the water is gonna get bypassed by going under the wall? Also, could I put live rock in this chamber, just to have more filtration?

(2) Can I remove the sponge and place a baffle and make a refugium here? Without the sponge this 2nd chamber will be approx. 9"L x 10"W x 9"T, (w/ the sponge-- it'd by 3" shorter) would this be a large enough area to do a refugium for a 55g tank? Or would it not be enough to waste the time? Also, what would be the best method (if there is one) to keep the DSB from going under the wall and back into the skimmer chamber. Could I put a something where the egg crate is now and leave the rest of it open? This would give a retaining wall for the DSB of about 4 inches and another 5" for the LR rubel and macro algae.

The third chamber would be for the return pump and heater.

What does everyone think? Will it work or just be a waste of time and money?

I know this is a LONG question, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!

ccso139

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2008
pictures would definitly help out here ..... but it all sounds doable
I've actually decided to go another route, after measuring the stand myself, I have more room than originally thought. So, I think I am gonna start from scratch and see what I can come up w.