The Naughty Tank

MissDanni

Large Fish
Feb 12, 2008
Bit of a problem ...

My beautiful cichlid Jaune has all along been a nice fish. We had an upset here about a week ago when I stopped feeding as much to try and clear up the tank, Jaune got upset and took my platy Tangerine. I blamed myself for that.

Since then he has been back to playing nice and being friendly but this morning he was following around one of the baby Columbian Sharks ... they went behind a castle and only Jaune came out. My children quickly called for help but it was too late, Pierre was gone.

I've taken Jaune and his mate Yellow out and put them in a smaller tank with water from the big tank, borrowed some rocks, shells and trees.

I was weary when I got the cichlids but I was assured at the FS that they were only "semi" aggressive and would be fine with everyone else. This is obviously not the case.

Now I must decide to either start a cichlids tank or take them back to the store.

I feel so bad that this happened and I know now not to trust the fish guys anymore. Ugh I'm a moron.

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
Your cichlid, comes from Africa. They prefer harder water and are more aggressive than some of the SA cichlids. I would not recommend them for a community tank. This type of cichlid likes to be with other cichlids. If you want a cichlid for your community tank try a dwarf cichlid from South America instead. They are usually alot less aggressive.

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
a gold fish ate the other one wow
she was an odd goldfish...we used to have a big albino catfish in there too and one day we bought feeder fish for him that goldfish ate like half the feeder fish for herself. I finally get to the LFS to get the green glofish put it in there and the goldfish snatched the glofish as fast as i could blink i wanted to cry

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Sorry to hear that but the important lesson learned here is RESEARCH, RESEARCH and more RESEARCH. I am sure most of us, if not all of us have done somehing like that in our first experiences so dont be so hard on yourself. Just remember to NEVER trust the FS guys unless you personally know there experience espcially from a big box store like petco/petsmart.

I hope you decide to keep them, they are beautiful fish.

Its ok for what happend, like previously said we have all made mistakes, i know i have! But like what sweetpickels said, African cichlids need harder water than South American cichlids and other fish. You should consider either getting rid of them or using this new tank that your working on as an African cichlid tank. What size tank is it?

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
Yea, i know. I say that and what do you know i see his name in the: members online box. Im suprised he has come and checked this one out yet. 2 electric yellow should be fine in a 29 but when i asked if i could keep 3 in mine i was told that it wasnt a good idea. What type of African where you keeping in your 30gal, SD?