- 2 Platys
- 6 Tetras
- A bottom dweller

or

- 2 dwarf gouramis
- 2 Platys
- 2 Tetras
- A bottom dweller

Please let me know which will be the best option. (I currently have 2 platys in the tank)

Thanks.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I'd go with 1 too.
But make it 3 platies and get 3 cories for the bottom. Cories (and Otos) are the only bottom dwellers small enough for your tank and they're very social.

fishnewbie

Medium Fish
Jul 2, 2007
I'll go with option 1 with only one gourami and cories as the bottom dweller. Two gouramis may be pushing the aggression envelope! I'm glad to see that I am not the only one with that exact cave in my community tank*thumbsups. Very nice tank.

Justin

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
wow. I definitely was going to say #2 lol the nly one that didn't get suggested yet :p. I would do it and make the tetras small ones like neons or something. Then you get a school, a centerpiece fish, and your bottom feeder. But looks like you went with #1 :)

ravichr

Medium Fish
Apr 18, 2005
Mansfield, CT
:( Sadly I had to pass on a dwarf flame gourami today! I'm still not sure I want to chance 2 gourami in the same tank again...worked out well the first time, but IDK.

Tank does look great...hurry up and get those fish, so we can see!
What happened to your Gourami? Is there a difference in caring between the Flame Gourami and Blue Gourami (both dwarfs).

I like #2 as well.
Your tank is tall - relatively speaking, and not very wide, so two gouramis may be a little close together.
A small school of tetras would look great in there though. There are a ton to choose from all in the Cardinal size range (I always recommend Cardinals over Neons when available). Avoid Rummy Nose Tetras as they will want more lateral swimming room then you have.
As for bottom dwellers: You could go for a few small corrys. You always want more then 1. However I would suggest invertibrates. Get an Apple Snail, and then some small shrimp. Preferably Amano Shrimp, or Cherry shrimp. Ghost Shrimp work too, and are pretty neat, but they don't live as long.

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
option #1 all the way... Tetras have to be in schools so that rules out #3 and gourami shouldn't be alone. so that rules out #2... Another thing you got to think about is, what kind of tetra were you suggesting? Some can be horrible tank mates...

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
if gouramis are somthing u want I would go with option #2 as well, gouramis seem to do better as singles or 3 or more (to distribute the aggression),I may be wrong but I think from the research i have done most LFS only sell males due to females being a duller color. I think that this may be why they are agressive towards one another. This is just my opinion based on research i did when i first bought mine. I have yet to find females in any LFS locally. As the sex is always noted on the tank with these guys.