New Plans for My Cycle Problem.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I just got home from my LFS and I didn't get anymore gravel. The guy that works there and has for a long time said to get some bio spira (spelled wrong I know) and add it to the tank. He said for me to do water changes every other day. He said that when I do a 50% water change I am bringing the nitrite level from 5.0 to 2.5. He said "diloution of the pollution is the solution". He said that a tank can sometimes take up to 8 weeks with the amount of fish I have. He said that no matter what.. do not siphon the gravel bed. I don't have a dirty gravel bed anyway because of the catfish and algae eater, plus the undergravel filter with a powerhead. I don't overfeed either. So he says to keep up with the water changes and get the bio spira. He said that the bio spira will help the nitrifying bacteria to grow faster since that is what bio spira is. He also said that I should see the nitrites decine over the next few weeks after adding the bio spira and water changes.

the current readings were 5.0 for nitrites, ammonia 0.0, and nitrates 20

so I will keep you updated. again I know PITA DG!

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
"Dilution of the pollution is the solution."
I like that! It's so true.

Make sure the bio spiria is refrigerated when you buy it and you keep it that way or all the bacteria die.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
yeah.. the bio spira is refridgerated there.. and I live about 10min away from there.. so it will stay cold. has anyone here used it? how did it work for you?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
after adding the second dose of bio spira last night the nitrites are down to 1.0. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope it keeps on the decline. thanks for the help everyone

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
If it stays under .5 you can probably slow down to water changes every 2/3 days since you have the Prime in there detoxing and the biospira at work. :) At least you only ever have to do this once. When you get the new tank you can cycle fishless and you don't have to do water changes at all then.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
tab.. when I get my new tank I am taking the filters from the old tank and installing them on the new tank.. so hopefully I don't have to worry about a cycle..

Lone Wolff

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2008
Lincoln, NE
serious ? or a joke?
Probably serious. Lots of houses built outside of city water/sewer systems. All of them have their own wells. Only have to pay electricity to run the pump to get it out of the ground. Cheap way to water your yard, take as long of a shower as you like, etc.

Only bad thing is if you lose electricity, you won't have running water.

Ah........fond memories of my youth!