Fishless cycling quest

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
THe nitrite spike usually lasts longer then the Ammonia spike. I found it was about twice as long when I fishless cycled and 3 times as long when I fish in cycled. Which means basically 2 to 6 weeks.

Once you start seeing your nitrates rise sharply you're heading into the winning stretch.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I know that my nitrite spike has lasted at least 3 weeks now and it is slowly coming down. I am also doing a cycle with fish. I just purchased a rena xp3 myself and installed it yesterday.. already tell the difference in water clarity! awesome filter

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
If you're cycling fishless you should not change out any of your water at all until the cycle is done.
To elaborate upon this point, the reason that you don't want to do any water changes at this point is that the nitrite-eating bacteria you are trying to cultivate in your tank will use the nitrite in the water for food. So, by removing the nitrite-laden water, you'd be depriving those bacteria of their food source. And, the whole point to cycling is to develop the strains of bacteria that will live off the ammonia and nitrite that your fishes' waste will produce.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
If your Nitrites have gone off the chart Captevo you're doing really well. As soon as they start to come down you're in the home stretch.

captevo

Small Fish
Feb 20, 2008
Can someone please help?
Google Docs - Fishless Cycling
My nitrite went down to 0 after a spike... but ammonia is still at 1.
Where in the process am I ?
I thought I would see ammonia at 0 before the nitrite spike is finished.
Does it mean the tank is cycled, and that I'm using high ammonia dosage (at 3ppm/daily)?