How long should it soak?

LukeHawk

Medium Fish
Feb 20, 2006
I picked up some really great looking pieces of wood from my garden this morning. They have been nowhere near salt, and were often hit by fresh water rain. I've been soaking them in Rainwater for over 2 hours now. They are not floating, and most of the gunk is off them, including a ton of ants...

Surely it doesnt need to soak for much longer?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
you might want to boil the pieces of wood prior to adding them to the tank. You don't know what type of parasites or other bacteria that could be on it. I would wait for more replies from other more experienced members though.

LukeHawk

Medium Fish
Feb 20, 2006
crud, I just put them in...oh well, I'll see if my fish start acting weird. I didnt biol these other pieces of wood I had before, but I left them in water longer because they were floating, I haven't had problems with them, so I hope these are fine.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
.... if there were ants on it my guess is there is sap in the wood, in which case it is a VERY bad idea to put it in your tank. The reason people go out and pay money for wood rather than go out and gather it up is because this way we are sure the wood is dry and aquarium safe. It is a very risky idea to go out and get some wood, clean it, then put it in your tank.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I wouldn't use wood from the garden at all. Too many risks of exposure to way too many things.

ROCKS from the garden you can soak and boil and scrub clean (make sure to test with vineger though). But wood should buy at a fish shop.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
LukeHawk... no offense or anything.. I know you are asking for advice and some replies for help making an informed descision. So that being said.. why are you asking a ? about if you should do something if you are going to do it anyway? You have done this in a few of the threads that you started. I am not trying to bash you. I just want you to make sure you are doing the right thing. You must be questioning your own judgement with what to do or you wouldn't be asking some of those questions. I would take some of the advice you have been give here. Most of these members have been in the hobby for years with much success. Just be patient and give some time for replies. Again.. no offense... just trying to help.

LukeHawk

Medium Fish
Feb 20, 2006
ha ha, no I understand what you are saying. Its because I live in a different timezone to most of you guys. I had already started fixing up me tank, then had a few Q's, but you guys only replied when it was already the evening for me, and I couldnt wait that long.

LukeHawk

Medium Fish
Feb 20, 2006
Unfortunately for me the pieces were to big to boil, in Heinze sight I probobly should have let it soak more..

I previously added wood from my garden before and let it soak for a few days, so I could get it to actually sink. These pieces sunk immediately so I only soaked them for +/-5 hours. They are very often hit with fresh water rain, so I dont think there will be much of a problem. Also the previous pieces I used from the same place weren't boiled either, and I haven't had any problems. They have been in for over a year

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
The problem does not get fixed by rainwater- disease, sap, bacteria, and worst of all, pesticides and garden fertilizers could very ell still be on the wood. If you think it is fine then keep it, but personally I would ditch it as well.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
Unfortunately for me the pieces were to big to boil, in Heinze sight I probobly should have let it soak more..

I previously added wood from my garden before and let it soak for a few days, so I could get it to actually sink. These pieces sunk immediately so I only soaked them for +/-5 hours. They are very often hit with fresh water rain, so I dont think there will be much of a problem. Also the previous pieces I used from the same place weren't boiled either, and I haven't had any problems. They have been in for over a year

well.... what you can do (if you have a big enough sink in the future) is to place the items in the sink and boil enough water to fill the sink or tub ect.. being extremely careful of course. after the water had cooled.. rinse and repeat to make sure it is sterilized.

But I would take it out immediately and do this and also change the water..