First test on the new Tank!!! :D

Jan 19, 2008
OK so i finally got my API master test kit today and ran the tests on my 29g which has ben cycling since friday. heres what i got.

Thursday February 21,2008 29G
PH: 7.5+
Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 3

Looks like its coming along nicely, but i suffer from a massive systemic infection of NOOB so i wanted to hear everyones thoughts on this.

Jan 19, 2008
yeah i forgot to mention ive got several guppies in there from my 16g since tuesday and they are thriving. Ive been adding 1 or 2 more every day since then, so i know there is fis poop hapenning and ammonia being produced.

I was wondering, what are the test readings i want to see to know the tank is ready for fish a little more finicky about their water?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I wouldn't have anymore than 2 or 3 fish in the new tank. at least that is what I have read on here.. I had about 10 fish cycling the tank and it took almost 7wks to complete. I would stick to the 2 or 3 rule to cycle the tank. you don't want the bad bacteria to overpower the good trying to develope and harm the fish. I would wait for more replies. Good Luck!

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
yeah i forgot to mention ive got several guppies in there from my 16g since tuesday and they are thriving. Ive been adding 1 or 2 more every day since then, so i know there is fis poop hapenning and ammonia being produced.
Personally, I would quit adding them until you get your ammonia down to zero consistently. How many do you currently have in there?

I was wondering, what are the test readings i want to see to know the tank is ready for fish a little more finicky about their water?
Your ammonia and nitrite should be consistently zero; your nitrates should be less than 20ppm (but that's not a hard-and-fast rule). As I'm sure you've heard, Miss Fishy has a link in her signature to her own website that details tank cycling.

It takes about 8 to 10 weeks to fish in cycle no matter how many fish you have in there.
It really varies. My first tank was done with a fish-in cycle. It took considerably less than 8 weeks to cycle it. Maybe that was because I had some driftwood from an established tank in there. Maybe, despite what many say, Cycle isn't completely worthless (yeah, Bio-spira is probably better). It does vary on a case-by-case basis. But, I wouldn't necessarily recommend a fish-in cycle either.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
It really varies. My first tank was done with a fish-in cycle. It took considerably less than 8 weeks to cycle it. Maybe that was because I had some driftwood from an established tank in there. Maybe, despite what many say, Cycle isn't completely worthless (yeah, Bio-spira is probably better). It does vary on a case-by-case basis. But, I wouldn't necessarily recommend a fish-in cycle either.
You and Dwarf both used established media and Biospira/Cycle. Think how long it would have been if you hadn't.

I've fish in cycled and had it take 8+ weeks the 5 and 10 Gs. The little 2Gs and Betta bowls (which are 2gs too) were considerably faster.