New Kit Test Results

Hi, just wanted to make sure I did this right with my new API master test kit.
The pH is VERY different from the pH on my strips for 2 weeks ago. Strips say 7 and master kit says:

20g
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
pH 7.6
High pH 8

5g
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0.25
pH 7.6
High pH 7.8

I don't get the "normal pH" and the "high range pH". Can someone explain what the difference is? Is the "high range" just an extention, if so, why am I getting a different reading? And in the 5g, is that ammonia reading bad? Thanks.*twirlysmi

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
why are u testing with both the high and normal Ph..if your ph is at 7.6 on the normal scale why test it again? Yes the High range is an extension to be used if your ph doesnt read on the normal scale. I am unfortunately out of town so i cant check my own or i would out of curiousity. My assumtion would be that the 7.8 reading is the lowest on the highrange so it reads that when testing at a lower ph, and that it is possible same scenerio applys to the other tank as well even though it tested a bit higher.

I would say any ammonia is bad.

Last edited:

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Well, my guess is that your pH is actually running high. I think that if the numbers are what the high pH range tests tell you they are, using the normal range pH test on that same water will give you the highest reading it can: 7.6. So, I'd say you have a pH of 7.8 in one and 8.0 in the other.

My water sits at about 7.6. I usually use the normal pH test, but check that against the high pH test from time to time. The two normally agree.

Feb 19, 2008
ammonia is normal if you just started cycling, but if it goes to high it will kill your fish ... that being said, after you cycle it should be down to 0 always unless you add fish and increase your bio load.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Well, my guess is that your pH is actually running high. I think that if the numbers are what the high pH range tests tell you they are, using the normal range pH test on that same water will give you the highest reading it can: 7.6. So, I'd say you have a pH of 7.8 in one and 8.0 in the other.

My water sits at about 7.6. I usually use the normal pH test, but check that against the high pH test from time to time. The two normally agree.
Thats a much better answer than mine..lol