Fishless cycling quest

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
I don't think I'd say that you have quite a ways to go. But, your tank does still have some progress to make. The bacteria in your tank should be able to metabolize the ammonia you put in and the nitrite that is produced within a day or so. Take a few more days' worth of data.

captevo

Small Fish
Feb 20, 2008
I don't think I'd say that you have quite a ways to go. But, your tank does still have some progress to make. The bacteria in your tank should be able to metabolize the ammonia you put in and the nitrite that is produced within a day or so. Take a few more days' worth of data.
Thanks, japetus.
Should I lower the ammonia dose? or keep it at 3ppm?
I got a hold of an old tank filter from a friend. dropped it in last night, I'll sit back and wait for a few more days.

What weird is nitrite is 0.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Others may suggest differently, but I suggest that you drive up your ammonia levels again. Watch them drop. You want to make sure that your tank can metabolize the ammonia and the nitrite. And, yeah, I'd use both kits to test. I'd be concerned that that one test is still showing significant amounts of ammonia.

Lone Wolff

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I'm not sure about anyone else's experience on cycling tanks, but to me it seems odd that your Nitrites would go from 0 to 4, then back to 0 in just five days.

The last time I cycled a tank, the Nitrites stayed at 5ppm for 3 weeks.

I don't know of any bacteria that would grow and function as quickly as your numbers indicate. What are your NitrAte levels?

captevo

Small Fish
Feb 20, 2008
Now, I'm REALLY lost.
Ammonia is rising up slowly.
Google Docs - Fishless Cycling
Seems like ammonia eating bacteria is not doing their job.
I added an old filter from my friend's healthy fish tank a few days ago.
This suppose to help, right?
I also add pot scrubbies to the xp3.
I'm out of idea. I don't want to re-start again.
Please help.

Lone Wolff

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Now, I'm REALLY lost.
Ammonia is rising up slowly.
Google Docs - Fishless Cycling

I added an old filter from my friend's healthy fish tank a few days ago.
This suppose to help, right?
That would definitely help. I'd just leave it for a week. Don't add any more ammonia or perform any water changes. Just monitor your levels to see if the ammonia goes gown without elevating the Nitrites.

captevo

Small Fish
Feb 20, 2008
Thanks, Lonewolf.
If I don't add ammonia, would the good bacteria die off?

Here's another thing.
I put the seachem Ammonia Alert (tested before I put in; it worked).
It's showing that ammonia is 0.

I might have a bad ammonia test kit (API)?

marvin

Large Fish
Jul 7, 2007
florida
my lps guru said he could get a better reading by puting the water in his mouth than using strips... i cycled a tank once.... once is the key word... i would add every thing into the tank as if it had fish in it even food, rock, sand, etc. prime@ brand name for tap water conditioner,conditioning salt, and a ph regulatior. the next day a few fish.