Purple web like stuff!!

Feb 7, 2008
i have a 29 gal sw setup, i have some purplish stringy stuff growing in a couple spots around the tank, does anybody have any idea what this is and if its good or bad!! its growin on the floor and on a spot of my live rock..

Feb 7, 2008
Here are some pics!!

i really dont know what this stuff is its getting bigger and bigger by the day..
it doesnt seem to bother the fish but i just dont like the way it looks.. here are some pics

**and heres what it looked like before that stuff started growin everywhere!!!

Feb 7, 2008
*celebrateyes of course im gonna get a bigger tank there still both right around 2" and i plan on upgrading to at least a 75.. i have a couple things i want to add in with them but tank size is really limiting me... i got the tank for free so its kinda a starter tank that i had up and running for about 6 months now!! so pretty much its not gonna kill my fish then??

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
its cyano.... tell me something are u using tap for your waterchanges? if u are u sould switch to r/o for w/c's and topoffs... u wanna increase your flow in the areas that its building up .... u can also try cutting back on light, less feeding, more water changes ;)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The lights out won't kill the cyano and unless you tackle to source you won't be rid of it. What are your parameters specifically nitrates and phosphates. Even if these are reading zero doesn't mean that you don't have a problem. Two fish such as these with minimal live rock, minimal flow and crushed coral substrate are all part of the problem, my bet is you are not running a skimmer either. You need to increase the amount of rock to help in filtration, increase your water changes and start with a 25% change, increase the flow in the tank and possibly think about changing your substrate to sand rather than crushed coral which becomes a nitrate trap after a few months as you are experiencing. You don't mention any clean up crew either, what is eating any detritus and food that isn't eaten? You may want to reduce your feeding and the amount you feed. All these things may help.

Feb 7, 2008
The lights out won't kill the cyano and unless you tackle to source you won't be rid of it. What are your parameters specifically nitrates and phosphates. Even if these are reading zero doesn't mean that you don't have a problem. Two fish such as these with minimal live rock, minimal flow and crushed coral substrate are all part of the problem, my bet is you are not running a skimmer either. You need to increase the amount of rock to help in filtration, increase your water changes and start with a 25% change, increase the flow in the tank and possibly think about changing your substrate to sand rather than crushed coral which becomes a nitrate trap after a few months as you are experiencing. You don't mention any clean up crew either, what is eating any detritus and food that isn't eaten? You may want to reduce your feeding and the amount you feed. All these things may help.

Yes i know about the crushed coral i dont really like it either, and i just bought a nice size rock that you cant see in the any of the pics.. ive only had the tank for a couple of months, i never knew how expensive it was just to get it up and running and im adding rocks and stuff every chance i have some extra cash!! as flow and filtration i have a EMPEROR 280 w/ a BIO-WHEEL and a power head in the lower right corner shooting right at the rocks.. as far as a clean up crew?? what can i do about that??

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well you will need turnover at about 20 x tank volume per hour. Not sure what the flow from the emperor or your powerhead is but probably not enough. You don't say if you are using a skimmer, but all those things are adding to your problem. I would start with the cheapest fix, do a bunch of large water changes and reduce your feeding. Siphon the crap out of that crushed coral when doing the water changes to get as much crap out of it......good luck.

Feb 7, 2008
i bought the emperor because they said it was for a 55 gallon tank so i figured that more filtration is better (smaller tank big filter) the powerhead is a decent size one.. what exactly does a skimmer do??

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
wow u should really do some reading! in a sw tank we dont use a regular filter as you would on fw ie. emperor .... instead you want in that 30g tank id say about 45lbs of live rock along with a good skimmer (AquaC remora) , regular water changes (using reverse osmosis water of course) and your tank will be exactly what u want it to be ;) now seriously if u dont wanna pic up a book or research the net than atleast read the stickies at the top of the forum
oh yea and get rid of the crushed coral :p

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Even if the tank was given to you, you really should do some research to set it up properly. do some reading and test your water and when you have done the things suggested then we will be able to help you some more, but you have to do the work to gain the rewards.