Algae Control for 1.5 gallon

noob23

Large Fish
Dec 17, 2007
SoCal
I have a betta in a 1.5 gallon, and i have started to notice some more algae. Its not bad at all, but i wanted to get something else in there that eats algae. I know it is probably too small for an oto, so i was thinking i could just get a snail. But do bettas eat snails? Let me know what you guys think i should get.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I would think that a snail like an Apple snail might not be a bad choice. You could probably do one small shrimp, but other than that I don't think you have too many good choices.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Not as far as I know. For one betta mouths are not very big- especially not big enough for a shrimp, and I myself had great success with amano shrimp with a betta. I don't know about RCS as they are a lot smaller. I am not sure if they would eat shrimp, but my gut says not.

trailmule

Large Fish
Jan 2, 2008
I have 4 algae eating shrimp with 4 female bettas and no problems, not even after the shrimp molt. I have pond snails though, and the bettas eat them when they are small - suck them right out of their shells. I've seen it. You would be okay with larger snails.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
The betta might or might not eat the shrimp. My recent experience with shrimp though tells me buy twice as many as you actually want! So if you think you need one, get 2. They don't have the highest survival rates.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
My betta ate all the cherry shrimp I put in with him. He'd also smash snails against the side of the tank.
Cherry shrimp are more brightly colored I think the betta would be more likely to go after them then the clear shrimpies.

And wow that's one smart betta Lotus.