What kind of algea eating fish should i get

HAAA

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2008
Inland Empire
I dont want a pleco because they get to big and will eat my plants and im defenetly not going to get a Chinese algea eater so somebody tell me about a algea eater that doesnt get to big at most 6in and wont eat my plants FORGIVE MY SPELLING ERRORS*DRUMMER*

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Spelling definitely wasn't much of an issue here. Just use a bit of punctuation, and you'll be fine :D

I like Otocinclus! You can't go wrong with Otos! They grow at most 1.5 inches. Snails eat algae too, if you'd like that approach.

HAAA

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2008
Inland Empire
same here i bought some plants from petsmart then pom! like a sock to the face and i keep on doing wter changes and rinsing my plant but nothing i wanted to get afish to eat them but the only one i know that eat them are puffers and i think clown loach wich i know i cant have in my tank

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
you didnt say what size tank you have or what fish you have in it also you didnt say what kind of algae you have there are different kinds of algae and not all fish will eat all kinds of algae so it would help if you could let us know about the size of your tank and current inhabitants about the snails they usually multiply when there is too much food going into the tank so cut back on feedings to reduce the number of snails and also you can bait them out with an algae wafer in a shot glass or other small container if you put it in at night after the lights go out then in the morning take it out before you put the lights on and it will be full of snails that you can then remove.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Otos are good Algae eaters BUT you can't put them into your tank until it's fully cycled. Right now HAA I'm pretty sure your algae is the result of your tank not being fully cycled. I would wait it out, do water changes and clean off the algae yourself.

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Slightly on topic... I'm not sure if I have an algae problem or not, I may. I noted the last time I did a water change and thoroughly cleaned my tank, that there was a lot of green crap on the plastic piece that is clear where the light sits... algae? Is it problematic if I break it off, it falls into the tank, and I can't get it all out?

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
You'll probably want to keep a small group of them too. Mine is all alone with some guppies, but he seems to be doing OK. It looks like he's always "playing" with the guppies. As soon as I can cycle the rest of my tanks and redistribute my fish, he's going to get himself a couple of buddies.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
you didnt say what size tank you have or what fish you have in it also you didnt say what kind of algae you have there are different kinds of algae and not all fish will eat all kinds of algae so it would help if you could let us know about the size of your tank and current inhabitants about the snails they usually multiply when there is too much food going into the tank so cut back on feedings to reduce the number of snails and also you can bait them out with an algae wafer in a shot glass or other small container if you put it in at night after the lights go out then in the morning take it out before you put the lights on and it will be full of snails that you can then remove.
I have this strange feeling you're being a wee bit humorous here...with basically no punctuation in that extremely long run-on sentence. ;)

Jan 19, 2008
Well, theres a few different options as far as Algae eaters go... Otocinclus are cool, and small. The only problems ive noticed with them are their sensitivity to water conditions, and the annoying hit or miss likelyhood of the fish to eat your algae. Some do, mine dont, who knows if they will or not?
For Hair algae, you cant beat a japanese algae eating shrimp, or amano shrimp.

There are also some breeds of Plecostomus that dont get more than 6 inches... Rubber lip and bristlenose are the most common that i know of.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Slightly on topic... I'm not sure if I have an algae problem or not, I may. I noted the last time I did a water change and thoroughly cleaned my tank, that there was a lot of green crap on the plastic piece that is clear where the light sits... algae? Is it problematic if I break it off, it falls into the tank, and I can't get it all out?
Is it not possible to remove this from the top of the tank to clean it?