foggy tank!

Mar 5, 2008
so ive got a new tank and i let the water filter for about a week and we slowly got fish. it is a 10 gallon tank and ive had it for about 4 weeks. it is foggy and we used this clarification liquid for 2 days and is still foggy. we got the water tested and its fine. any ideas???

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Are you asking for ideas as to why it's foggy? :confused:

It may well be that the colonies of bacteria you need in the tank are establishing themselves and that they've bloomed. That may be the reason for the fogginess. If so, just give it a few days to see if it goes away on its own. It should.

You said that your water checked out fine. Did you check it yourself? It'd be good to start monitoring it (you can buy test kits at your local fish store). I suspect that it may not be as fine as you were told. Given what you've described, your tank should still be cycling and establishing itself. Check MissFishy's signature for a link that describes the cycling process.

What kind of fish do you have in the tank? Hopefully, they're hardier species.

Oh, and, welcome to the Tank! :)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2008
thanks...i get it tested at a local petstore... i put a binghamton university shot glass in there to rep my school haha...we cleaned it thoroughly...but do u think that might have something to do with the fogginess?

btw i have a small tiger barb, a catfish, a black molly, and 2 wag plattys? i think they are called

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
Just don't get too worried if it doesn't clear up in a few days. My 55 gal took a couple of weeks or so before it became clear. My 110 still hasn't became as clear as the other two tanks i have. just keep monitoring your water quality as iapetus said and give it some time.

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
sounds like a bacteria bloom, and more importantly it sounds like you didn't cycle your tank properly. read up on tank cycling. also, your stocking is a bit off. what type of catfish? i ask because there are many types of catfish, and many of them get really big. tiger barbs need to be in groups of at least 6, and a 10g tank is too small for that.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If it is a white cloudy, it is a bacterial bloom. If its more of a green cloudy then you need to look into algae blooms...but seeing how new the tank is my money is on the bacterial bloom.

There are stickes at the top of the beginner forum that you can also look through to find out ways to help. I'd just leave it alone personally. The cloudiness is not hurting your fish.