40 gallon Reef Journal

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I'm doing 2x250w over my 33gal :D :D haha, go big or go home right? ;) Its really to give me a tan at the same time.

Generally a normal MH fixture/DE bulb will light about a 2ft (length) area, or so i've read. Personally i'd look at doing 2, but i have seen some quite nice 40+ gal tanks with a center light and rock display and shadows on the side.

How deep is the tank? That might factor into weather or not you go 150 or 250. You'd be able to keep SPS with either, just look at how much of the tank you want to light and if the light will be enough to penetrate to the depth desired. Just some things to think about.

Also factor in the circuts of your house, hehe.

You could probably put together a pretty kickass 1x150w + T5 combo, could work out very nice. 1x150w + 2x39w T5 or something similar. Of course on the other hand 250w + T5 = more light and (generally)you won't have to be as picky with coral placement. In terms of these SPS have to be on the top rock, etc etc.

Personally i'd shoot for the 250w route. If you don't mind retrofitting you can get a 250w fixture for like $10 more then the 150. Not including bulbs of course. Thats what i did. My whole lighting setup cost me like $260 (not including bulbs). For 2x250w.

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
hmmm I bought the 24" light for my 29g and it has worked great. I believe at one time they had problems with ballasts and had issues but I have heard they have all worked them out and these are the new models. They are not as well made as say a current usa light is but for the money they aren't that bad, you will probably spend more on replacement bulbs than the whole light costs........

Update! 3/8/08

Woot! Got 25 pounds of live rock yesterday,(just for now) and 40lbs of kordon Coral beach, (which i just now realized how dumb that was. it says its made of former coral reefbeds, but i should have gotten aragonite. shoot. will this affect it in any way in the long run?) and Instant ocean. Got the siding on the stand today, and trim, just need to put the doors on which we will do later. Got everything hooked up, no thermometer yet, but it shouldn be a problem for now as its about 70 in our house. Salinity is 1.023 and pH is...uhh, get back to you on that, i need a saltwater ph. only have freshwater, thought is was both. oops. so far the sump is running, and i have weak maxijet pumping the main display around, and i have a 55 watt PC for now until we get some halides. Anything else you want know, ask, or if you have any tips just let me know thanks!

Is the coralline going to die off during the cycle?

Another quick question. What test kits should i also get? i have ammonia,nitrite, nitrate,pH and alkalinity...anything else?

Last edited:
THanx kay-bee, good to know. So we decided we are going to actually build a canopy with 250w Mh and 1 or 2 T5's. But were still in the design process. How far would you recomend we have the halides off of the water? My dad wants it to be about a foot, but im not sure. Our house stays around 75 all summer, and we have a swamp cooler running about 30 feet from the tank. So is a foot far enough? or should i move it back farther?

EDIT____________________________________
Just bought a used Kent Marine HI-S 60 RO/DI unit on ebay for half the price of retail
Kent Marine Maxxima Hi-S 60 RO/DI/SI - eBay (item 320223981648 end time Mar-09-08 19:00:00 PDT)

Last edited:
Day 2

Just measured ammonia, and nitrites just cuz lol, ammonia is at a little less than 1 ppm, and nitrite is 0. 2 days feels like a long time when your super pumped for a SW! My freshwater tanks have been left in the dark, literally, as I have had to take their 56 watt pc. About to order some parts, im getting 2 koralia #3s, SpectraPure ATO, TDS meter, and refractometer. Are the koralias too much? i didnt think it would be maybe a smaller one to fill in trouble spots.......

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
2 koralia #2's plus your return should be fine for lps and softies but if you want sps u may want the 3's which IMO would be a little overkill (sandstorm) personally i wouldnt feel safe with that stand! IMO u should brace it with a few 2x4's are u guna put doors? my canopy is 15" tall to give u an idea on how far they show be ;) i also had to leave the back open and add a loud a** fan to keep temps stable and i keep my house at 75 year round

Last edited:
2 koralia #2's plus your return should be fine for lps and softies but if you want sps u may want the 3's which IMO would be a little overkill (sandstorm)
I want it all. lol, would a 2 and 3 work out?

AS for the stand it is the exact same design and and same lumber used(3/4" plywood) for a full out 90 gallon, Im positive it will be fine, maybe lateral brace as it wobbles like an 1/8" when i clean the glass. and yes doors are going on which will add a bit more stability, but we decided to set the tank up first since we can put the doors on later.

Um for lighting, i was planning on a 1X250w MH with 2X 36" VHOs.......

Last edited: