Help!!

Mar 9, 2008
Utah
I just recently moved my goldfish to a 2 gallon fish bowl because of my serpae tetras were biting chunks of its fins. I want to make the most of this bowl by having it planted w/ maybe some small iverntabrae such as shrimp. Any suggestions??

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
First thing...welcome to the tank!

Second...a 2 gallon tank is no where close to enough room for a goldfish. The general rule (and I'm sure someone else will say it) is a 20 gallon tank, for 1 goldfish.

Also, read this to learn what you need to do to prepare your tank for fish

Are you interested in learning what the best types of setups would be for your resptective fish? If so then please post what kind of fish you have, and what size tank they are in.

As far as planting your 2 gal, you'll need some descent light, and preferably some plant specific substrate. If you want to forgo that you can plant directly into gravel and use plant nutrient tabs.
Goldgish like to eat plants, but I've found that if the plant looks like salad to you, it looks like salad to the fish. Find plants that have broad thicker leavers like anubias and onion plant (although onion plant is too big for a 2 gal).
Any small shrimp will be fine: amano shrimp, ghost shrimp, cherry shrimp.

But all of the above is ignoring the fact that a 2 gal bowl just isn't big enough for a goldfish. They do want much more room to swim, and goldfish will grow 8 inches, maybe 10. They grow fast too.

Welcome to the tank.

Mar 9, 2008
Utah
Thanks, the fish that I have are 5 small serpae tetra, given to me by a friend who didn't want them anymore in a 2gal aquarium, I know that I have to get a bigger tank asap, and my other fish is just a regular old goldfish I won at a carnival last year, and it is in the 2gal bowl.

You've got a couple of options available to you and they all have to do with price, and the amount of Fish Tank you want.

I like Serpeas. They're aggressive, but small and fun. When kept in a large enough pack they only spread the aggression out amongst themselves.

My suggestion is to go to the fish store and find the largest tank that you like and can afford. Don't be afraid of big tanks. They take no more effort then a small one (a few more minutes in maintenance, but no more effort).
Decide if you want to use real plants or fake plants. Real plants will want florescent lighting where as fake plants don't care. Real plants aren't as difficult to take care of as many people assume. I find them easier then house plants - I never have to water them!

Read up about cycling a tank.

Technicly you can keep the goldfish and the Serpaes in the same tank (although unconventional)... if it's large enough. If you're going to do that I would suggest a 30 gallon tank, and a larger school of Serpaes (to disperse the aggression).
The problem is that Goldfish are coldwater fish, and Serpaes are more tropical. You'll have to keep the temp in the tank around 75/76 to keep both happy - which is doable.

I have to run (at work - lol). Give your thoughts on this, and I'll post back with more.

Jonathan

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
In the meantime wrestling, you really need to do a LOT of water changes for your goldfish. Goldies have a very large bio-load (they create lots of waste, lots of it invisible that you can't see in the water) and that will kill them very quickly. You really need to be changing out their water 100% every other day and adding water conditioner (to take out chlorine and chloromine from your tap water). I know they're just "regular old carnival goldfish" but they can feel pain too and ammonia poisoning is a harsh and slow way to die. Please take the time to take a peak at the link in my signature, it has some good set up and cycling information that may interest you. :)

Mar 9, 2008
Utah
Thanks for the heads up, I've been changing the water but only every three days or so....
In the meantime, does anybody have any suggestions on algae eaters that i can but in with my serpae tetra when i get the bigger tank??

Don't get a chinese algae eater. I had one. He never ate my algae and always chased my fish around. Consider some otos. But get more than one because they like groups. Cories are also nice but they are just bottomfeeders. They eat the leftovers, not the algae. I don't have snails, but I think they would eat algae too.

Mar 17, 2008
TN
I have set up a tank and have been seeing alot of ammonia. I've had one fish die to this and nothing seems to be helping. I've cleaned about half a tank of water and it's still there. Any ideas? (I have a 10 gallon tank) Anyone with with any kind of advice would be very helpful ASAP. Cause its obvious i dont know what I am doing..

Thanks.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
Hi hollywood. the easiest advice for me to give to you is, to look for the post from MissFishy in this thread and click on the link in her signature. read the part about cycling a tank since your tank is fresh and new. alot of people here have a lot of knowledge but they need more info from you in order for them to help. i know one question they will ask is how many fish do you have in your 10 gal tank. usually the first questions are, did you cycle your tank, what size tank and how many fish and what kind are they. Be honest with your answers and these people here can guide you to a healthy and happy tank.

Last edited: