I think my Oscar is Sick !

Steve1001

Small Fish
Mar 11, 2008
I just signed up for this because I recently bought a Oscar a baby one. I bought him 2 days ago and he is in a 65Gallon tank. He has it all to him self. But hes not eating anything? i feed him pelets and live feeder fish. He is having a hard time catching the fish and he just lays at the buttom of the tank like hes dead or sleeping. Can any one help me and tell me how to make him eat more and seem more active ?

Thanks.

Steve1001

Small Fish
Mar 11, 2008
yes i did a fishless cycle, i added some stuff to remove clorine, I got some drift wood in there that he hids in and the temp is around 78-80. I think i have done everything right. I just want him to be happy and eat

Gunnie

Large Fish
Aug 29, 2003
Florida
www.egunsellers.com
Oscars are pouters. He may just be adjusting to his new tank. It sounds like you've done everything right. Do you have any ghost shrimp available locally? They are slower, and might be easier for your oscar to catch. ;) ;)

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Hi Steve! Welcome to the site! Can you please outline exactly what you did you fishlessly cycle your tank and what your current water parameters are? A timeline of when you got your fish, when you started your tank, and when he started acting ill would be very helpful. :) It sounds like he's suffering from ammonia poisoning, so this info needs to be found out ASAP if you want to help him.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
this is perfectly normal for Oscars ime for the first couple days, both of mine did th same thing.

I would not feed feeder fish due to the risk of disease and parasites, if you definately want feeders i would buy some live bearers and raise your own.
There are many other options than just pellets or feeders to give them a well rounded diet.

Steve1001

Small Fish
Mar 11, 2008
MissFishy as for cycling the tank i myself did not do it, my dad did but i know its been running for a few weeks now. Hes starting to eat now tho. Just no very aggressive. What other types of feeder could i feed it and what other types of food?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You need to ask your dad how he cycled the tank, it sounds like it may not have been cycled at all. If this is the case, your fish is in a lot of trouble. Smaller oscars will probably not be interested in live "feeders", some big oscars aren't even interested in feeders. They'd much rather eat pellets. By putting feeders in your tank, you're letting any sickness they have infestate your tank and oscar with it. Feeders are not treated very well and often come ridden with disease. If you want, you could leave the ones you have in there now with him and see if he eventually shows any interest.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
i have to disagree about the not being interested in feeders, predatory behavior is hardwired and this is the common way big box stores get new customers interested in Oscars. They show them the aggressive feeding behavior. I dont agree with purchasing feeders like i stated previously.

Other food options are pellets, frozen brine shrimp, blood worms, mine eat snails which kinda shocked me, 2 month old molly fry went pretty quick when mine where only 2in.. There are many more options but those are my common food item

Steve1001

Small Fish
Mar 11, 2008
my dad said he put in some type of chemical i forget the name then let it run for a few days then tested it then added somthing elese let it run for a few days then tested it then it was good he said. hes eating the feeders now but not the pellets ?is there a good time of day to feed them ?cause ill put it in there wait a few mins and he wont tuch it then i just take it out.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
the best way to get them off feeders is to not give them feeders, only offer pellets..make sure you buy the small size pellets

post what your dad used and how he tested the tank... cycling could be part of the problem but i dont think it is, if you went to the Oscar forum link that was posted ealier in this thread you will find this is relatively common behavior for oscars until they are acclimated, like i said mine did the same thing, i freaked and researched it as much as i could because i thought my first one was going to die, when i bought my second one it did the same thing then a day or so later it was eating then it's activity levels went up.

You do need to buy a test kit if you dont have one, make sure it can test for ammonia..then test the water and post the results that way we can give you better information.

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Brian, cycling is definitely a problem if the tank isn't cycled. An oscar can quickly dirty its water and raise ammonia levels. "Lying on the bottom" is a classic ammonia poisoning symptom. Cycling a tank takes weeks not days Steve, you really should sit down with your dad and read the cycling link on the website linked below in my signature. It would be a shame to kill your first fish because you don't know what you're doing.

Feeder fish are not a very healthy diet, so you really want to get your oscar on some good quality pellets so he'll color up well as he grows.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Missfishy,
You may be right on this one, and if you read my post then you would see i didnt disagree completely I said to get a test kit and post the results but IMO I think that everytime someone NEW posts you automatically assume they have no clue what they are doing, and did not cycle. I respect your opinion and your advice, i have pointed newcomers needing cycling info in your direction, but I disagree with you on this one and at the same time there a numerous ways to cycle a tank other than your way, do a google search of setting up an aquarium and 100's of result come up, and there are products that speed up the process that i have used on other tanks, I personally have done a complete tear down, cleaned with bleach,rinsed , filled added cycling products whcih is stated to contain live bacteria and added fish one week later and have never had any ammonia reading and my nitrates run an average of 5 to 10ppm when i do my water changes. So being that nitrates is basically a by product of ammonia being broken down then appearantly my tank is cycled and I have lost no fish since I tore it down/readded fish 3 months ago.

Laying on the bottom is a classic newly aquired Oscar symptom as well, I know this mine did it in well established tanks. I had mollies for 8 months in that tank until the Oscars where introduced a month apart and they wwhere 2in fish when i purchased them, the first one was introduced and sunk to the bottom and sat there for 2 days, then he began feasting on the young mollies, a month later I bought the second one put him in the same tank with the same result, he sunk to the bottom and laid there for 2 days. I know how much they waste they produce I have 2 of them living with a very large pleco. I do weekly water changes and my nitrates are never over 20 in that tank, and it is going to quickly be to small for the current stock, and sorry but IMO a 2in oscar does not produce that much waste to raise ammonia levels that quickly iespecially in a 65g aquarium, the amount of watr compared to the waste would most likely dilute any ammonia very quickly.

My opinion differs from you on this one due to my experience and various posts on the Oscar forum, I do not have time to research them and post links tonight and I will be gone all weekend due to military commitents

I would say if this fish was poisoned so quickly then it would probably be dead by now.

Fish keeping is a constantly evolving hobby and IMO a big science experiment what works for you may not work for me.

The point of a forum is to take many view points and decide which is best for you.I have an opinion and I voiced it based on my experience, experiences from my youth with Oscars, based on research and on other forums, I just wish I had the information that is available now back then.

I am not trying to be rude missfishy but i took your post as implying that I am trying to give him bad advice and trying to kill his fish. While cycling may be an issue it may not be the cause of his problem.

Last edited:

Steve1001

Small Fish
Mar 11, 2008
thanks for advice, i tested the water i do it every day just about , and everything is where it should be, the oscar is now more active its swimming more but its still laying around . i think its just a matter of time befor he is his more active and eats everything. ill grab some flicks etc of him for you

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
thanks for advice, i tested the water i do it every day just about , and everything is where it should be, the oscar is now more active its swimming more but its still laying around . i think its just a matter of time befor he is his more active and eats everything. ill grab some flicks etc of him for you

Steve could you tell us what your results actually are? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and Ph? THat would help a lot.

Also what's your water change cycle and did I miss it? Did you say how large this tank is?