Filter question.

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
Hi all. I have a 20 gal. tank. (still cycling for 8 weeks now) When it is done cycling I want to upgrade the filter. Right now I have a Top Fin for 20 gal. I bought a Whisper power filter 40. This new filter has a bio-bag and bio- foam. The one I have now just has bio-bag no foam. The old filter will be for my qt tank when I am able to set it up.
My question is, what do I have to do to put new filter in tank after cycling is finished. Do I need to do something so I don;t mess up the biological filtration or the bacteria that is needed? Thank you for your help. Probably a stuipid question but thanks anyways. Tina (After 8 weeks I don;t want to mess it up.)

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why you don't just slap the new filter onto the still-cycling tank. That way it should be ready to go when the cycle is done.

How are you doing the cycle? Whose instructions are you following? 8 weeks isn't that abnormal if you're starting from scratch, but it does seem a little on the long side. Did you have any established media from any other tanks to use?

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
No I stared from scratch. My amm rised then drop and nities are still purple. Doing water changes almost everyday. So I expect it will take more time. Clycled with 3 platys because I didn't know about fishless cycle.
And thank you for your impout.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I would not remove your existing filter as soon as you're done cycling (you'll start cycling all over! There's good bacteria there!).

I would agree. Slap the new one on there and let them run side by side for a bit. That's likely your best bet.

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
ok thank you. I guess that wasn't a dump question. That is what I will do. At least have it running for a few weeks side by side before I take old one out. Thank you again. I really don't want to mess this up.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why you don't just slap the new filter onto the still-cycling tank. That way it should be ready to go when the cycle is done.

How are you doing the cycle? Whose instructions are you following? 8 weeks isn't that abnormal if you're starting from scratch, but it does seem a little on the long side. Did you have any established media from any other tanks to use?
that is exactly what I was going to say..

I wouldn't take your existing filter off until it is done cycling and it has been a little bit. even if you change it after the tank is done cycling, it will put it back into a few days to a week mini cycle again. at least that is what mine did

djbids

Medium Fish
Feb 2, 2008
Cayucos Beach, California
I have been cycling for over 6 weeks because I also am cycling with fish. It has been alot of work and even more patience. I like alot of your ideas. I only had readings of ammonia start on 2/28 then almost two weeks later my nitrites are rising and I have nitrates reading since I was doing that wrong....read the post Learning to use API tests and the comments of iapetus. It really helped me!! I know you are talking about your filter but water testing is important and doing it right is even more important.
In regard to the filter question. When my water test levels are where they should be and my tank is fully cycled can I then do the change to my filter? The monthly maintainance.
I have an aqua-clear 50 power filter. I know it says I should change or clean filter media not all at once. I have a sponge that I did have to pour tank water over in the beginning because it got clogged. My next change would either be new carbon or new biomax in the filter. Would you replace one of these and replace the other a month later? I know you are not supposed to do all 3 at the same time.

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
the problem is the top fin filter. It has no sponge so no biological filtration is happenning. Thats why it is taking me so long. That is why I brought a new one. Going to run both for a few weeks. I just regret buying a starter kit. The whisper power filter has both bio-bag and bio-foam. So I should be ok now. I hope. Thanks everyone.