I think my Oscar is Sick !

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Brian, my advice and insight is from being on this forum for over a year and watching the same thing over and over. New fish owners that think they've "cycled" a tank by letting the water sit there for a few days. When someone isn't posting their actual ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings that is a glaring red flag. While I'm aware Oscars can be temperamental when being moved to new homes, this will of course pass. If the fish is indeed sick from water conditions, this WON'T pass unless something is done. Which one seems like something that should be looked into first? A possible sick fish dying slowly of water conditions? Or a temperamental Oscar being moved to a new home? Obviously, I would investigate the water conditions first, especially given the glaring red flags mentioned above in this case and the vagueness of the posts of the actual water conditions in this tank.

I'm aware there are many ways to cycle a tank, if you'd looked at my cycling information, you would have seen I do indeed suggest several different options for cycling a fish tank. INCLUDING adding live pre-packaged bacteria that will cycle your tank instantly, so I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here? If you were successful in completely cycling your tank this way, congratulations. I've heard of several success stories using pre-packaged products, but also sadly seen several where the product didn't work at all or quite as well as hoped.

I don't think it's at all helpful or conducive to the situation to disclaim any concern about what the actual water conditions of this tank are by telling someone this is "just the way oscars act." As this person seems to have no idea what cycling a tank actually means from what I see in this post, even if the fish is experiencing "new oscar syndrome" as you seem to think the main problem is, if this person does not know what cycling actually means, he will soon have water problems which are far more serious than any oscar temperament issues and will in fact lead to this fish’s death. I think the fish’s life is the main concern here and that starts with proper water quality and knowledge on how to properly care for a fish tank.

Littleman, why would you promote such hostility on a hobbyist forum?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I don't think it's at all helpful or conducive to the situation to disclaim any concern about what the actual water conditions of this tank are by telling someone this is "just the way oscars act." As this person seems to have no idea what cycling a tank actually means from what I see in this post, even if the fish is experiencing "new oscar syndrome" as you seem to think the main problem is, if this person does not know what cycling actually means, he will soon have water problems which are far more serious than any oscar temperament issues and will in fact lead to this fish’s death. I think the fish’s life is the main concern here and that starts with proper water quality and knowledge on how to properly care for a fish tank.

Littleman, why would you promote such hostility on a hobbyist forum?
Missfishy, Are you saying that my experience is not helpful, and only yours is? That is how I take it. I am sorry I have only been on this forum for only a few months, maybe when i have been here a bit longer my opinion will be valued by you maybe not, the fact is I am speaking from experience and even gave information on where to find others that have experienced the same problem. He stated his dad took care of setting up the tank so your probably right that he doesnt know anything about cycling, but is he supposed to listen to his dad or someone he doesnt know thats online, who didnt give him any other possibilities other than his tank is not cycled, and his fish is doomed because of his negligence. When I give him information based on experience and research you come back and basically tell me I have no helpful insight. I have only been here a short time and dont go back and search what people post but the only time I recall seeing you post since I have been here is in the beginner forum about fish cycling, with all your experience why not share it in the other forums as well.

You seem to be saying I completely disregarded his water conditions, please read my posts and you will see I did ask him to post is readings, but i think that if his fish suffered ammonia poisoning that quickly it would already be dead.

I do not claim to know everything or anything for that matter, what I do is post on experiences and on info i research on fish I keep or am interested in keeping, and i normally provide links to this information I dont post about things I have no idea on, rather you believe that or not I dont care.

On your cycling information, i have read it, and i read it again, and yes you do recommend other methods but you have no experience with store bought cycling products so how can you tell someone they need more than what his dad did to complte the cycle. The product I used was Topfin Bacteria supplement, maybe it contains bio spira, maybe it doesnt i dont know what i do know is it worked for me and it says nothing on it about refrigerating and it states if you are dissatisfied you can return the unused portion to the place of purchase for a full refund, seems they are confident this product works.

The question I have since I have been gone all weekend and this thread has not been updated by Steve is, Why havent you posted the actual readings, Missfishy,myself and Tab have all asked you to do this, saying it is fine is not going to help anyone answer your questions.

Last edited: