Cycling As Nitrites rise, How high is to high.?

djbids

Medium Fish
Feb 2, 2008
Cayucos Beach, California
This is week 7 in my long wait while cycling.
Ammonia=0 starting 3/15 and continues
Nitrites=5 since 3/14
Nitrates all over. 3/14,3/15,3/16=10 ; 3/17=40 10% Water Change. 3/18,3/19=10 and today 3/20 Nitrates=20.

My question that I cannot find anywhere. I am using the API color match cards and testing my water daily. Is it possible that my nitrites are higher than 5 and I dont know it because my card only goes to 5. And if so, is there another way to test it. Different product. How high is to high with nitrites? Is 5 a peaking #? And if it is a true reading how long will it stay at 5 (approx). My thought was maybe it is much higher than 5 and I just don't know it and maybe its on its way down. (also, I have fish) They are doing fine. All over the tank. I always make sure they are not hanging around the top all the time or in distress. I do 10% water changes but only maybe every 4 or 5 days. I have great air going into the tank and I think that helps. I just need moral support please....and your opinions. Thank you. debbie*laughingc

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
How high is too high? Depends on the fish. Some are super sensitive and others can take it higher. Any is bad, but as a general rule of thumb that I gave myself, I would say try to keep it under 1. I tried to keep mine at about .5. But that means LOTS of water changes. Especially if you're going through the nitrite spike.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
If you have any fish in the tank, you need to be doing enough water changes to keep your nitrites below 1.0ppm. Even if your fish are somehow surviving at the levels you're describing, those levels can cause long term permanent damage to the fish.

What temp are you keeping this tank at?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The test kit will give odd colors if the nitrites are higher than 5ppm. Try a large water change (like 50%), then test again to see where you are. Make sure you take the reading at the time specified on the kit (I think it's 5 minutes). If you read the test before or after that, you won't get accurate results. Also, if possible, take the reading in natural daylight/outside. Indoor lighting can make the colors look different.

I'd try to keep the nitrites lower than 1ppm, if you can. It should result in fewer deaths.

djbids

Medium Fish
Feb 2, 2008
Cayucos Beach, California
Seems like you're not fully cycled yet. Since you did a fish-in cycle, the length of time is about right. I also would be doing bigger water changes, like 25%. I also think that adding such a large fish load so quickly probably extended the amount of time your cycle is taking.
I figured I hung myself when I found out I should have done a fishless cycle. So I know my extended time for the cycling is about right. I will change out more water than I am doing per all your suggestions. We all seem to be in agreement there. I did go last night and buy the test stips that measure nitrite and nitrates. I wanted to compare the results with the way I have been testing. The strip showed my nitrites at 3 a little lower than my API test. The nitrates showed 20. I did add a 3 capfuls of cycle last night and was kinda afraid, thought my fish might die but they seem fine today. I tested again just now and my nitrites are 2 and my nitrates are 5. Is it unusual for nitrates to come down or should they stay anywhere under 40? Now that I have you all helping me my nitrites seem to finally be falling. Yipee! I cant wait to get the rest of my fish but I will remain patient.