Dwarf puffer and community tank

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
yea i was gonna say what Mo did..dwarf puffers are aggressive and need to be in a species only tank. I had a friend who had a dwarf puffer in their community tank and did ok but i wouldnt risk it.

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
I heard that there was like one fish that typically gets along with the D.P. fine. Does anyone know what fish that was? I know some people have good luck adding others with the D.P. but this fish typically has a great chance at not having problems with that. When I get my 55g, my 10g is going to be converted so a D.P. could live there, as the girlfriend wants one real bad... only problem is she wants more than just a D.P. in there.

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
Would pygmy cories be ok with dwarfs??? I wanted to get rid of my guppies (by get rid of, I mean donate to a LFS once the fry are big enough) and make my 10 gallon a Dwarf Puffer tank. 1 DP, and 1 Oto (if pygmies don't stand a chance).
thats a big risk to take. in a 10 gallon you could get 2 dwarf puffers as long as you have places for them to hide and a couple otos.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
i never seen an oto in a pet store here even my lfs
They're pretty common here in Houston. I just bought 2 today, which I'm putting into my 5 gallon to clean up the algae. After their QT period is over, they may go into the 15 gallon - haven't decided yet.

thats a big risk to take. in a 10 gallon you could get 2 dwarf puffers as long as you have places for them to hide and a couple otos.
I'd rather not even risk it, so I'm probably going to do just 1 Dwarf, and 2 Otos. I have to wait at least a month till I can get some b-day money and when Mr. President starts sending out some of them stimulus checks.... You best believe that check is going to make my fish happy! :D

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
I'd rather not even risk it, so I'm probably going to do just 1 Dwarf, and 2 Otos. I have to wait at least a month till I can get some b-day money and when Mr. President starts sending out some of them stimulus checks.... You best believe that check is going to make my fish happy! :D
Yea i was gonna get a dwarf puffer and 2 otos next week myself but i think im gonna get a tattoo instead

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Yea i was gonna get a dwarf puffer and 2 otos next week myself but i think im gonna get a tattoo instead
I'm going to go with the philosophy of "For each time I think I want to get a tattoo, I'm going to get a fish..." :D

I may have to get me a 55 gallon for that :D, but no more room in my bedroom... unless I get rid of the computer desk, and get smaller one.... and if I get rid of the wardrobe which holds my clothes...

I'm going to wait till I move out before I get a 55 gallon... I'll just get me a 30 gallon for now... :D